Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hendrik94

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Germany
I'm troubleshooting this now as I am having the same issue. Using a Vega FE. After getting the prompt to do firmware and holding the button till the lights flash and long beep, the screen just remain black indefinitely. For all previous 1.xx. firmware updates before, it would update fine as usual. I've left my machine on this morning on the black screen and will see if it needs time.

same still does not work with spare internal HDD drive and only GPU plugged in

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
same still does not work with spare internal HDD drive and only GPU plugged in

I decided to do a fresh install of 10.14 on my NVME drive. Then downloaded full installer of 10.14.5. Getting the firmware prompt, but still black screen issue. Hmmm. Will try taking everything out of machine so it's just ssd and GPU next when I have time.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Your monitor connected via DP or HDMI? Try DP and change version on monitor if keep running into issues.

robretoimperdible

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
Spain
Hi,
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with a WD Black SN750 NVMe M.2 with LyCOM DT-120. It´s bootable with Mojave 10.14.5 thanks to Carbon Copy Cloner, no with Time Machine. I can see it like external drive in Utility Disk, my question is can I see it like internal disk? Will be more quick?
Thank you so much!
Thanks for your work.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with a WD Black SN750 NVMe M.2 with LyCOM DT-120. It´s bootable with Mojave 10.14.5 thanks to Carbon Copy Cloner, no with Time Machine. I can see it like external drive in Utility Disk, my question is can I see it like internal disk? Will be more quick?
Thank you so much!
Thanks for your work.
To Mac Pro firmware, only south bridge SATA ports connected drives are internal. All PCIe drives are external.

Internal/external don't have speed differences.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
Thank you so much!
Thanks for your work.

There is a way to do this. IMHO, it's silly, but here it is:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/innie-a-fix-for-pci-drives-seen-as-external.2136229/

And, remember. no matter where the drive is shown, The drive icon can be easily changed.

Lou

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Hi
I have a 4.1 to 5.1 W33680 with bootrom MP51.0089.B00, 10.13.6.
Can I install Mojave following the info here?
Thanks

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Yes you certainly can, start reading the beginning of this thread, it contains all your answers on how to proceed.
I was asking because I read on some other post that single core should not get the bootrom update.
I followed the instructions and I tried to install Mojave, the installer asked me to click to turn off the computer and upgrade the firmware, but it just stays on. Reading the console shows some error, but I could not understand what is causing this.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I was asking because I read on some other post that single core should not get the bootrom update.
I followed the instructions and I tried to install Mojave, the installer asked me to click to turn off the computer and upgrade the firmware, but it just stays on. Reading the console shows some error, but I could not understand what is causing this.
You need to read again the first post, this is explained there.

Single CPU or Dual CPU works the same, btw.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Yes, you probably did. BUT - that was for an earlier version of the Boot ROM (142.0.0.0.0) As I recall, that was never publicly released. It was only released as a Beta. So, at this time, updating the FW on a single CPU machine is a non-issue.

Lou

Reactions: crjackson2134

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Yes, you probably did. BUT - that was for an earlier version of the Boot ROM (142.0.0.0.0) As I recall, that was never publicly released. It was only released as a Beta. So, at this time, updating the FW on a single CPU machine is a non-issue.

Lou
Alright that was it, thank you
[doublepost=1558761404][/doublepost]
You need to read again the first post, this is explained there.

Single CPU or Dual CPU works the same, btw.

thank you
I did but I stay stucked at point 11.
Each time I try to launch the firmware upgrade it just doesn't do it.
I'm gonna copy the console and report it.
The only reason that could cause this is that I downloaded the Mojave installer from my other computer, as I don't have access to fast internet at the studio.
I have the RX580 installed, I remove my 4K monitor, OS is on SATA2. I have a PCIe USB3 installed and Sata3 card (for cache files) I'm gonna take them out. But from I remember it seems related to authorization/permissions.
I also did all the updates of High Sierra before trying to install Mojave.
I have a Sierra OS on another SSD on the SATA2, I'm gonna remove it too.

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Do you already have MP51.0089.B00? What's your current BootROM version?
yes I'm on MP51.0089.B00
I had no issue to install this firmware and High Sierra.
I installed it from my previous OS on another SSD, as I didn't want to upgrade my previous system but do a clean new one.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
yes I'm on MP51.0089.B00
I had no issue to install this firmware and High Sierra.
I installed it from my previous OS on another SSD, as I didn't want to upgrade my previous system but do a clean new one.
Wipe out a drive, install it on a southbridge SATA2 port, then do a clean install of 10.13.6. This is your starting point to upgrade to Mojave.

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Wipe out a drive, install it on a southbridge SATA2 port, then do a clean install of 10.13.6. This is your starting point to upgrade to Mojave.

Thanks again, what is a southbridge SATA2 port? does the optical drive port work for that? that might be the issue as the additional SSD is there.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks again, what is a southbridge SATA2 port? does the optical drive port work for that? that might be the issue as the additional SSD is there.
Southbridge SATA ports are the four drive bays and the two ODD bays. Disconnect everything that you not gonna use, simplify.

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Southbridge SATA ports are the four drive bays and the two ODD bays.
then it is what I did, clean install on SSD on one of the southbridge SATA port from another OS on a SB SATA port too.
I'm gonna try to re-install High Sierra from a USB stick to the SSD.

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019

That 142.0.0.0.0 caution should not even included in the first post to confuse people. It is a beta firmware which should not be discussed in this forum according to Apple's agreement.
You can just ignore the caution and do the regular update, because you will never be able to see this 142.0.0.0.0 beta firmware as a regular user.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
That 142.0.0.0.0 caution should not even included in the first post to confuse people. It is a beta firmware which should not be discussed in this forum according to Apple's agreement.
You can just ignore the caution and do the regular update, because you will never be able to see this 142.0.0.0.0 beta firmware as a regular user.

Did you ever read the first post here? Seems not, since it only includes 142.0.0.0.0 on the history of releases.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
That 142.0.0.0.0 caution should not even included in the first post to confuse people.
It is a beta firmware which should not be discussed in this forum according to Apple's agreement.

Seems you are obsessed with firmware 142.0.0.0.0. Let’s talk about that version a while. I tested it and I also bricked a machine with it. I had plenty of discussions with Developer Relations about firmware 142.0.0.0.0.

It was included in two test previews and ADR wasn’t aware of the problem that it caused. Thankfully I had @tsialex as a resource to help isolate firmware 142.0.0.0.0’s limitations with regards to CPU compatibility.

I recovered from this non-functional condition caused by firmware 142.0.0.0.0 rather quickly with the help of @tsialex . Apple released the firmware 142.0.0.0.0 in the another successive DP version as well.

With further communications to ADR about the inclusion of firmware 142.0.0.0.0, I was able to demonstrate the issue with firmware 142.0.0.0.0, and Apple pulled firmware 142.0.0.0.0. In this way, further damage was not caused by people attempting to use firmware 142.0.0.0.0.

It seems you don’t want people to know about the dangers of firmware 142.0.0.0.0. You should know there are plenty of developers who are not hardware gurus. They install DP versions to test with their own software creations. Said developers also received firmware 142.0.0.0.0 and needed help to recover. Help that Apple could not provide since they didn’t know about the problems with firmware 142.0.0.0.0.

Personally I’m very appreciative of the now-near, common knowledge, about the dangers of firmware 142.0.0.0.0. I have many friends here in the MR community who averted problems caused by firmware 142.0.0.0.0 by learning of its dangers through continued discussions about firmware 142.0.0.0.0.

Thank you for your highlighting concerns about firmware 142.0.0.0.0. By bringing highlighted attention, and reviving the topic of firmware 142.0.0.0.0, perhaps you have made many more people aware of the dangers of firmware 142.0.0.0. Now, with all the discussions about firmware 142.0.0.0.0, it will hopefully be easy to find information when someone uses the search phrase firmware 142.0.0.0.0.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.