MPAA Gets Public Kicked Out Of Courtroom for RealDVD Trial

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4702

Disappointing. This kind of behavior makes the MPAA look much like the RIAA -- completely disinterested in the welfare or happiness of their consumers. How much money from CD sales has gone into the RIAA's witchhunt? How much money from movie tickets and DVD sales goes into this kind of shenaniganry? :rolleyes:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think both the RIAA and the MPAA are a waste of money for everyone. They've become the mafia, bullying everyone around in order to keep themselves around.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I really had hoped that Apple's pushing iTunes into the digital video market would really shake the market up and improve things, but I really don't think they have succeeded to date in this. iTunes is okay, and Unbox is okay, but but everything is really still very limited. If I want to rent a movie and then watch it on my laptop or iPhone on a trip, there's no reasonable option -- Apple's rental time is prohibitive, renting / ripping / deleting a DVD is a significant inconvenience, and other services don't work on my devices without network access.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

:confused:

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

To keep it quasi-legal.

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, exactly... it's at least a good faith effort. :eek:

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Haha. Perhaps they didn't realize the encryption is already cracked.

How else can people back up or rip their own purchased DVD?

8. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That part is somewhat comical. Presumably they don't consider programs like Handbrake and MTR to have enough widespread appeal (and they're probably harder to go after). I've never used EasyDVD or even seen it. Is it far simpler than other programs?

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This is an area of considerable conflict for me.

On one hand, I went to art school and I worked in the commercial art field for a time. I am familiar with the necessity and importance of copyright law, the rights it grants creators, and the protection it affords. I also truly love cinema, I follow directors, writers, actors and even choreographers in fairly extensive detail. I want to reward the creative minds in Hollywood with my business. This is an exchange I enjoy.

On the other hand, I find the tactics of the MPAA to be reprehensible. The ridiculous hoops one must leap through to simply watch purchased media on a different device betrays a total lack of interest in the customer experience or customer satisfaction. DRM is an abomination, a guilty-until-proven-innocent form of copyright. I am okay with paying $15 for a movie, I am not okay with paying $15 to license the right to watch a movie only on a limited set of devices after clawing through enough plastic to poison a cubic metre of ocean water, or paying $15 to download a video to have it be restricted to the point that getting full use out of it will constitute a legal infraction anyways.