MPB Late 2012 - Liquid damaged. Didn't turn on. After 3 days now works! What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamb1026, Feb 18, 2013.

1. adamb1026 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

So split orange juice over my mac, the majority near the vents at the screen.

Turned itself off in the process and after a clean up and being upside for two days, didn't turn on.

Last night wrapped it in blankets 10 hours later it now works. Apart from sticky keys, everything works. I have it on the battery still, did a time machine back up and working

However, housing insurance have already been contacted to pick it up for a possible replacement or repair on wednesday, they won't allow me to go to the apple store and give them the bill for the repairs. I don't really want to give them my macbook as I need it for my job.

So should I

1. Just go to apple and get a new top case replaced for the sticky keys and they will double check everything is okay with the logic board and everything else
    2. Housing insurance private company to look at the Mac and get a repair/replacement.
    3. Leave it as is and enjoy the fact my mac repaired itself.

Thanks guys

2. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Maybe the store would open it and have quick look for damage inside for you? If there's no damage then you can replace the top case if you want or leave it as it is. If there is damage then it's up to you whether you go to the insurance company or risk it. Probably not the direct answer you were hoping for but really this has to be your call...

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It is unlikely that you will be able to have a second chance at the insurance company replacing the laptop. Since it could die on you any day (impossible to know the extent of the damage), your best bet is to go with the insurance repair/replacement while you can.

4. adamb1026 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh that's what my folks said and probably the best idea, since I can get hold of my old macbook for now and was able to time machine the liquid damaged machine.

Thanks man.

5. amit715 macrumors member

have the insurance company take it ...u never know what can happen a week from now

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Give it to the insurance , go to the apple store buy another laptop use it for 13 days on the 14th return it for your money back, by then your original computer should be fixed

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

this

9. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Orange juice is so acidic that I can't drink it or acid reflux burns my vocal chords. Clean it out good ASAP! Take the bottom off, pull the keys off. Don't worry too much about breaking keys, they're cheaper to replace than the entire top case.

10. adamb1026 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all your help guys.

Contacted a few friends who work at my local store and they said, although it works now, in a week it could go bust, so the insurance company have it.

Thankfully, I was able to get a time machine backup and other required files for work, so I now back to my trusty 5 year old 13inch white macbook :)