Mr hypocr I mean Dobbs Hired Illegal Immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Oct 7, 2010.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know much about US politics and its hypocrisy, but hiring legal help should be okay, shan't it?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's a typo in the thread title. He hired illegal immigrants.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the article. Why don't individuals practice what they preach?

I went ahead and changed Legal to Illegal in the thread title. :)

4. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, when there is money to be made preaching...

6. 184550 Guest

Your thread title is rather misleading.

There is a difference between directly hiring illegals and hiring a company that uses illegals as a source of labor.

He has no control over who a company hires to fulfill its work contracts.

I can't think of one company in my town that doesn't use illegals.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So Dobbs has never ranted or raved about how companies do exactly that? :rolleyes:

You'd think if he really gave a **** about what he spouted he would look into that kind of thing.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

But in this case, it seems he knew and then looked the other way so to speak.

9. 184550 Guest

Unless he's in a position of local or state power, he has no responsibility or legal right to conduct checks on a private company's employees.

It is the company's responsibility to make sure that the workers they employ are legally authorized to work in the US/ state they serve.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Jesus, that is pretty bad.

I'm sure illegals are fairly widespread in agriculture here. But nowhere near everyone will use them.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the man that constantly rants about this stuff didn't make sure? My guess is that he signed contracts with these companies, you'd think if he cared so much about illegal immigrants he'd have asked for some type of clause.

Your right, he has no responsibility to look into it, but for someone who is constantly talking about this very subject, you'd think he'd put a bit more effort in.

12. 184550 Guest

I agree, it's a whole different question if he knew and looked the other way. I've got no problem faulting him for looking the other way, but to imply that he directly hired them, as the thread title states, is incorrect.

13. 184550 Guest

Perhaps I should rephrase and say construction company.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Fairly common place for them to be. I know a few companies in construction that will hire illegals knownly then not pay them over time. Threaten (and will) if they report them turn them into ICE. That fear keeps the one here legally in line. I know a few companies that are trying to get this other company shut down by turning them into the department of labor but can not get the copies of the pay stubs from the employees that they steal collect to then them into the DOL. Sad that such a blind eye gets turned.

Also I know the construction companies that do not higher illegals knowingly do not do much checking. Just supply them with an SS card or a green card and that is the end of it. Only way they will get caught (and fired) is if someone else applies for a job with the company using the same number and the computer system flags its. That is from my insider knowledge of one of the larger companies by working for them.

As for jobs their needs to be a better system by the Feds that tracks everything. Look for better ways to flag potentiality illegals in jobs. That would be having multiple copies of the same SS working for different companies at the same time and then reacting to it.

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Someone who cared as much as dobbs did about this subject, SHOULD have checked.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I believe the term is "plausible deniability".

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, many politicians adhere to the "Don't tell, I didn't ask!!" gambit.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think it's hypocritical. Profiting off undocumented immigrants either politically, financially, or for sanctimony is an entirely consistent stance.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The people who cut my grass are all illegal, but we didn't hire them personally we just hired a company. Couldn't care less either way, i live in NJ and we dont even think much about it here. Its just very commonplace.