MS Access (or comparable) for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by r-gordon-7, Jan 6, 2008.

1. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

I have my very first Mac on order. It's a Macbook (actually, a "blackbook") which is scheduled to ship next week w/4GB RAM & a 250GB hardrive.

I've maintained a large personal database on my various PCs over the years using MS Access. (Actually, I began keeping the database in the mid 1980's using Borland's Reflex, ported it over to Borland's Paradox when Reflex no longer worked on Windows - I believe that was for Windows 98 - and then ported it over again to MS Access when I no longer had access [pardon the pun] to Paradox on my computer at work). The database is quite large, having over 16,000 records. I continue to add new records every few days and add records to it both at home and at work. I keep the database on both my home and work computers, as well as on an external portable hard drive so that I can carry the latest version back and forth to and from work, between the two computers. I do all my printing out of reports at work, which is the only place I have access (pardon the pun again) to a printer. Oh, and as you might've guessed, the computers at work are all entirely Windows based.

I plan to install Parallels on my new Macbook and will install Office 2007, including Access. This should enable me to continue to use and update the database at home on my Macbook.

However, is there a database application available specifically for the Mac that will read, run and write Access database files - or is using Access through Paralles my best (and only?) bet?

Thanks,
    r-gordon-7

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stick with Access in Parallels. It runs quite well.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I still suggest sticking with Access.

I do run support a FileMaker infrastructure already. ;)

5. jimgates macrumors newbie

Actual ODBC

I have the same problem - web developer - and use Access databases for small sites.

What I have done is downloaded the Actual ODBC connector for Excel which connects to an access database and gives SQL functionality. Being a former PC guy, and now (thankfully) a Mac evangelist, I keep as far from Microsoft products (except office for mac) as I can. The Actual ODBC product works great for simple connection, access, and functionality.

You might try it - free download to try, 29.99 to buy.

http://www.actualtechnologies.com/product_access.php