MS: All Orignal Xbox Live enabled games come to an end April 15

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Feb 5, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

From a Press relase by Mark Whitten today

On April 15 we will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox v1 games playable on Xbox 360 and Xbox Originals. I want to start by saying this isn’t a decision we made lightly, but after careful consideration, it is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community.

So this means all original Xbox games will end on live such a shame i was originally planning to buy Halo 2 just to see how it was online but ill pass now. this can be good to freeing up servers and geting rid of alot of the p2p servers *Cough MW2 Cough* I also look forward to see if this will raise the Friend cap as well anyway sad day for Halo 2 fans.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When I first read over this news this morning I was all "BWAH they're removing backwards compatibility?!" but I guess not. I never played any Xbox 1 games online so I won't be missing much, unless they added online multiplayer to Halo 1? Loved that game years back. Still a shame they're removing features for a service you pay for. Ho hum.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Reasonable in my mind....yea, some people still play the older games and they still sell some of them(on Xbox live) but at some point, you gotta cut them off in favor of moving forward

4. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

At least there is still a way to play (certain) Live games through Xbconnect and similar programs.

This is kind of a bummer, but in a way also positive. I remember Microsoft saying the reason you can't have more than 100 friends is because of Xbox 1 games not supporting it. Now they can develop Live better for 360 and onward.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

The PC version of Halo 1 had multiplayer, in my mind it was the first real multiplayer FPS, so much fun, im having a sudden urge to dig it up and put it on m y gaming rig

6. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

i remember getting the first Halo back when it first came out on the mac. Boy I wonder how many 360 users actually know that Halo was on a mac, and how things would been different if MS didn't buy the game out.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no more halo 2?

this is why its nice not having to rely on MS for online play

For this reason....ALL mp games should have a Bot option and not just rely on online for mp imo

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Absolutely, or just you know, private servers like what PC games have. Servers down? Edit a file to point to a different server masterlist and go!
    I hope a generation or 2 down the line we will see more open online options.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yup, I mean I still get a kick out of games like Timesplitters 2 with Bot mp. If it relied on real people online, I could never play that game as its old

PS: How come your username is unfamiliar to me? Kind of surprised I don't know your name as you joined same year as me and have more posts lol

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my understanding is it was still in development when Microsoft saw it and then bought up the rights and bungie to make it for the Xbox. The game did change a lot from what it originally was going to be.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have the original Halo and Halo II. If they will run in offline coop, that will be ok with me.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Wow, the local videogame store are turning people away with used Xboxes as there so many ones out there.

I guess they're going to be worth something again - maybe going to pick an extra one up while they're still cheap tomorrow...

13. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Agreed, I should pick up another, but I'll only do it if I can find another Xeceuter front panel to use with a spare Xecuter X3 that I have here. Turn it into another media center.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

TS2 was the shizz. I hope that in years to come, much like what they do now with retro games, that it will be ported to a modern console. Everything about that game was perfect. Infact I'm gonna put the OST on whilst working.