MS AutoUpdate Messenger 8.0.1 keeps showing available update after successful install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsoto, Aug 26, 2011.

1. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

I hope someone can help me out. I just switched from pc to mac 8-9 months ago. Still learning. MS AutoUpdate shows an important security update for MSN Messenger 8.0.1 update. It does the whlole installation just like any software install prompts for your password. Install finishes. Then MS AutoUpdate checks for available updates & it keeps showing it. I have done almost a dozen installs. Logged out & logged back in from my desktop. Closed Messenger while installing...etc. Still same thing. Has anybody had this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

I have searched the forum & google & did not get a hit.

Thanks in advance for anyone that replies to my help question!

2. margagn macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. Does anybody know how to fix this?

3. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

Anybody having this issue? I still haven't resolved this as of yet.

4. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

Resolved

MS Office for Mac 2011 installs Messenger in MacHD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011. MS AutoUpdate installs the upgraded Messenger app in MacHD/Applications. You have to move the upgraded Messenger Application form MacHD/Applications/Messenger to MacHD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/. OS X prompted me if I wanted to replace the app with the newer one. Once I accepted the change, my issue was resolved. Hopefully this helps anyone that has Office for Mac 2011 that might have this issue.

Microsoft Support gave me this solution but it didn't solve the issue. I am going to attach it just in case if it helps someone.
    Thank you for requesting support for MSN Messenger . My name is Bernice and I will be working with you to resolve this issue. I understand that you are anxious to have this resolved.

As I understand it, you are being prompted continually to install the 8.0.1 update for MSN Messenger. You have gone through the installation and it will then again prompt you to install it again.

Unfortunately, we do not offer technical support for MSN Messenger, only Office for Mac.

However, as the update is looping after it has been installed, is may be a corrupt autoupdate preference file. Please check for the following:

?

1. Open the MacIntosh Harddrive/Users Folder/Home Users folder/Library folder/Preferences folder.

- In the Preferences folder, locate the following file(s): (You may only have one of these files), and move to the Trash.

--- com.microsoft.autoupdate.plist

--- com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist

3. Next, Open your Applications folder

- Check to see if you have the following Application -- Microsoft Autoupdate, it is usually listed above the Microsoft Office 2008 folder.

- If it is there, drag it to the Trash.

Empty Trash and Restart the Mac.

Please let me know if this addresses your issue.

Thank you,

Microsoft Office for Mac Technical Support

5. itsAerosol macrumors newbie

This is a little late, but this worked. Thanks a lot!