Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

towson80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Well, this may or may not be common knowledge amongst Mac users... I have been one since 1999 and had no idea until last week... using X11 downloadable from http://www.apple.com you can download Gimp (free graphics editor mainly used by linux nuts) and OpenOffice (same deal) and use them on your Macintosh.

Granted it takes a few more seconds to load up but I have found both to be quite stable, user friendly, and best of all FREE!

towson80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
yes you guys are right.. my apologies for not being clearer... now to find a mac app for wmv movies and my mac will finally be MS free. :)

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
towson80 said:
yes you guys are right.. my apologies for not being clearer... now to find a mac app for wmv movies and my mac will finally be MS free. :)

You should check out VLC. It plays pretty much any video format you can imagine (including WMV).

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
Diatribe said:
All but wmv3, which is unfornatley used a lot these days. So you'll be stuck with WMP9 for a while... :(

Thanks for the correction. Needless to say I don't use the app much, I try to stay away from WMV and MS in general (except for Entourage, I'll give them that much credit) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.