MS Office available to download for iPhone (via Office 365 subscription)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vip

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Just read on Tuaw website that if you have 365 subscription you can download new app from Microsoft.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
So it looks like MS is still trying to get you to buy the 365 subscription and using the iOS apps as the carrot to buy it.

Here's the link to the article for anyone's reading pleasure

Microsoft Office for iPhone is finally here. Today Microsoft has released Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers. The app is a free download but an Office 365 subscription is required for use. For now check out all the details in the release notes below. We'll have a full review of the app shortly

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I guess you can only download it to the device by syncing with iTunes? I can't find it in the App store. Likewise, when I download it to iTunes, it doesn't show in my purchase history on mobile devices.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Not only that, I am not paying Microsoft $100.00 year to borrow their software?

I already own Apple's iWork suite for iOS, and it works fine for what I need it, and I own it for $30.00, I have Keynote, Numbers, and Pages.

Adobe is getting a huge back lashing from people due to the subscription Cloud services now for their suite of software, I do not own any but I hear that folks using it all the time, are mighty P-O'd to say the least.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I agree - I have always thought subscription-based software was a pain in the backside. Aside from the higher cost, it just plain inconvenient to have to renew licences. I also do not like the idea of the iOS version requiring a internet connection, as it appears to do.

It never ceases to amaze when when computer companies take an infinitely flexible machine and start arbitrarily (and seemingly vindictively) creating unnecessary restrictions.

In any case, if my university subscribes to Office 365 then I must use iOS Office. Otherwise, I'll give it a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.