MS OneNote on the iPad would clinch the deal for me

Discussion in 'iPad' started by laserfox, Feb 3, 2010.

1. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

I use MS OneNote extensively and even share notebooks with my best friends who take the same classes but with different professors. Its a wonderful piece of software and with the upcoming ability to sync OneNote to the cloud and across computers,I did be quite contented to try the iPad.

I have an iPod Touch and to be honest the only apps I ever use are facebook, twitter, mail, music and safari. I also play scrabble (I can imagine how beautiful and awesome scrabble on the iPad will be) and soduku. Apps tend to bore me easily.

But the more I thougt about it, Microsoft will NEVER bring MS OneNote to the ipad. It'd ruin the fighting chance the HP Slate and other windows 7 tablets have.

I guess that answers it for me...depending on the specs and performance I'll get the HP Slate or the Lenovo ideaPad U1

[​IMG]

I could continue using the apps I actually use on a daily basis and have multi tasking as well!

but the iPad got something alluring about it but I don't know what....

2. Damian. macrumors regular

You can't use OneNote in Tablet-Mode.

[edit] I mean on the Lenovo ideaPad U1.

3. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Have you tried Evernote? I know it isn't the same as OneNote but it syncs to the cloud and is availible for Mac, PC, iPhone/iPad and on the web. You can also share notes with others.

4. revs macrumors regular

Evernote++

Like OneNote (but IMO better), but works on just about every platform going - and they have promised to make an awesome iPad version.

5. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

FYI: I believe the Lenovo U1 is going to run two systems, depending on whether it is in "laptop mode" or "tablet mode". While it is a laptop, it will run Windows. While it is a tablet, it will run Skylight (Linux).

6. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I would like to hybrid idea, but I want ipad to be the tablet part and once attached, it to be window 7 or mac book pro.

Say!! Apple!! Make use a hybrid that combine the Ipad and Mac book Pro together~~~!!

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Evernote is for keeping your thoughts, todos and reminders organized.
    OneNote is for taking notes in lectures or meetings.

Two extremely different things with similar names :)

Personally I use Word for Mac in the Notebook view, which is (afaik) similar to OneNote, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I will switch to the iPad in a few months, and I can't WAIT to see what kind of note-taking software the App Store will supply me with.

(Yes, I am a bit of a note-taking geek...)

8. revs macrumors regular

I'd disagree - I never use Evernote for todos or reminders (if it were it would have due dates and so forth), I use it for taking notes in meetings/lectures :p
    I use it for clipping loads of info and websites I come across.
    Evernote is definatly very similar to OneNote, they are always being compared, and are aimed at the same market

Evernote is pretty open though so you can use it for all sorts! Evernote won me over as it works on every OS/platform/mobile/web etc - why have notes if you cant access them from anywhere!

anyway, enough gushing over evernote! :D

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://blogs.technet.com/microsoft_...4/measuring-our-work-by-its-broad-impact.aspx

I don't think Microsoft has their own specifically designed Office Suite for a tablet in the way iWorks is for iPad.

Why not use something else, and sync those files to your OneNote?

10. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

Good points everyone and I agree that Evernote is a plus because it is cross platform.

As for linux in tablet mode in the Lenovo, I doubt I'd use the tablet to do serious typing, though I'd love to browse MS OneNote in tablet mode and make notes. Perhaps the workaround to that is the web version of MS Office. Its not out yet, but soon Microsoft will allow editing documents in the cloud ala google docs! All my changes should then be synced to the windows 7 base!

I agree, if apple had done this with the iPad, Mac OSX when docked, iPhone OS when in tablet mode, it'd be fabulous.

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

While I like the idea of Evernote, in practice, it is vastly inferior to OneNote. For one thing, Evernote iPhone app does not let you draw within a note. And I find Evernote website and iPhone app's note taking screen to be pretty crummy in terms of user experience, so much that I ended up giving up.

12. steamtoy macrumors regular

What if you need to take notes and also leave the ibooks open? No multitasking means you are gonna need to carry 2 ipads

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Evernote is ridiculously good.

Just the thought of using it on the iPad . . . *drool*

14. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

Thats the biggest drawback about the iPad, the mulittasking thing. Can't keep iBook open while typing up an essay. You'd have to bookmark the textbook, go to home screen, launch iWork again. Go to home screen, lauch iBook, find quote, bookmark, go to home screen, launch iWork again... What's even worse is that some apps have splash screens while the settings load, so I'd be wearing my patience thin. At this rate, I'd give up and use my laptop.

Evernote is not organized in the way OneNote is like a big binder. It is much easier for me to navigate onenote even without tagging everything the way I'd have to do in EverNote.

15. jetfreeman macrumors newbie

I've already posted this in another topic.

16. rgbyhkr macrumors member

A couple of things here.

- Evernote's promise to make an iPad version:

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/01/27/happy-tablet-day/

- OneNote will be available in the browser alongside other Office apps:

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/Features/2008/oct08/10-28PDCOffice.mspx

It's not live yet like the browser versions of Word and Excel (it's in SkyDrive - http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3990), but it's safe to assume that the functionality will be scaled back (compared to the desktop app). So, you could conceivable run this version of OneNote on the iPad or the Lenovo U1. It may not be the best solution, but it's an option.

Jeff

17. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If it runs Linux, you could use Crossover Linux to run OneNote 2007.

Well, Microsoft is looking into putting their Office suite on the iPad. Course it could just be like Office for Mac which takes out Publisher, Access, InfoPath, Groove, and OneNote. (though for the iPad specifically Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, and OneNote would probably be enough).

18. rgbyhkr macrumors member

I have a hard time seeing Office on the iPad for some time to come. Even with all of the iPhone units sold, we still haven't seen it appear. And you can't say that it's because they don't like Office on mobiles, because they have offered it on WinMo for some time, showed it as part of Windows Phone 7 Series (what a god awful name that is), will be available in mobile versions for Office on the Web and announced a version for Symbian last August. So, is there some surprise that MS hasn't announced yet? I don't think so - not when mobile web versions are right around the corner.

Now, does the iPad form factor and hardware allow for the creation of more attractive versions of Office? Sure, but MS seems more likely to take a wait and see attitude (see how many iPads are sold and how fast). Beyond that, Apple is busting right out of the gate with iPad versions of their competing apps for only $10 a piece. To me, unless MS has had iPhone versions of Office under development already, I don't see an iPad version coming anytime soon - as in definitely not this year. OneNote would be a really cool app on the iPad and seems like it would be worth development, perhaps even more so than the other Office apps, but MS just doesn't seem to operate that way. They'll "look into it", but I wouldn't expect a solution from them soon.

Jeff

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I tried Word for Mac's Notebook view. It is ok, but a really far cry from OneNote. I also have Circus Ponies' Notebook, which is also ok, but still not even close to a full OneNote.

Evernote on iPad is going to be very nice. It would have been even handier if iPad had a camera and we would be able to snap photos of business cards, etc. Oh well...next year.

20. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

LOL! Comparing Evernote to OneNote... what a joke!

With OneNote you can:
    • Make hierarchical ordered or unordered lists for outlines
    • Create tables on the go by pressing tab after a word
    • Format text, create headings, and group objects in a note into containers.
    • Reorganize a note by dragging and dropping or resizing containers anywhere in the note (for example, to compare two lists side-by-side)
    • Draw diagrams with drawing tools or by hand
    • Tag anything in a note which can be used to categorize types of information, highlight text, or filter information
    • Create a link in a note to any part of any other note
    • Collect notes in tabs and organize in notebooks to group related notes

It's no contest.

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

Thank you, you just saved me the time to draw up the list as well. Zoho's Notebook is the closest alternative to OneNote.

People have been asking for OneNote for the Mac, MacBU's answer? Word in Notebook view, which is retarded as hell. I don't think we'll see OneNote on the Mac ever, it is the best application in their suite in my opinion.

22. revs macrumors regular

OneNote sounds good, however people have different preferences and different apps are better for different people.
    I clip and store data all the time when I am out and about, I see no point in entering all my info into a system if I cant access it from anywhere when I need it

So my list for OneNote would be along the lines of:

• Mac Compatible... no
    • Access from anywhere via web.. no
    • iPhone App.. no

Again - not saying OneNote is bad, its just not for everyone, similarly, Evernote isnt right for everyone, and OneNote may be better for them :)

23. marcopolo007uk macrumors member

I think your needs maybe satisfied... OmniOutliner will be coming to the iPad. It's the nearest I've found to OneNote on the Mac. (And Evernote should not be compared to OneNote, very different products!)

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/

[​IMG]

24. rgbyhkr macrumors member

Does it support the ability to sync across multiple devices? I guess you could share the backend database over DropBox if not, but syncing would be useful.

Jeff

25. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You are correct in listing the things that MS needs to do to move OneNote into the Web 2.0 world. Not sure how crazy they would be about pursuing the development of a Mac version (as much as I would like them to). The cloud approach used by Evernote (which stores content on end devices as well) is in my opinion ideal. I really like Evernote for that. Hopefully one day MS will also realize that they need to move in that direction. The problem with them is that they still see themselves as selling a s/w and not a service. They could adopt a model where they would in essence give you a free s/w (or at least significantly discounted) and also sell you an optional cloud-type service. Basically very similar to what Evernote does. Their heritage is different though and their thinking hasn't evolved that far yet.