Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
According to this Time Magazine article (subscription required), MS made a final decision on the the design of the new Xbox after consumer groups in Japan said that the box looked as though it had been designed by Apple.

Consumers were asked who they thought designed the unit with being told it was from MS.

I thought this was an interesting enough comment to warrant a new thread.

Edit: Consumers thought it could've been designed by Sony or Apple.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Shows what they know! Mac Mini vs Xbox 360.... anyone else tell the difference.
It has none of the clean lines I would associate with a new piece of apple tech.
I loved the old Xbox's clunky charm, i grew accustomed to it.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
What??? The mistook that big ugly tower PC disguised as a game machine as being designed by Apple?? They must be blind.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
They've got to be kidding. :eek: When I first saw it, my first thought was that it had Dell Dimension written all over it. It looks absolutely nothing like anything Apple would ever design! :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
mac-er said:
According to this Time Magazine article (subscription required), MS made a final decision on the the design of the new Xbox after consumer groups in Japan said that the box looked as though it had been designed by Apple.

Consumers were asked who they thought designed the unit with being told it was from MS.

I thought this was an interesting enough comment to warrant a new thread.

Edit: Consumers thought it could've been designed by Sony or Apple.
Well it looks like those consumer groups didnt have a clue of what they were saying, It looks like crap, doesnt look at all like anything Apple would make and what do you expect its microstink. Most companies could learn a lot about clean style. MacMini is clean style. Xbox 360 is goofy looking but not as bad Ps2 version 1 or 2 ( Gag ).

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
That's really insulting, actually... Agree that it looks like a dell dimension, esp. with that big round light on it - the dells have a big chrome button that does nothing at all - maybe they're copying the bug round silver button on the Quicksilver that, if you pushed it, it damaged the speaker (great idea - not).

The original rumors re the Xbox360 were that they were significantly cheapening the design.

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
they made it look plain on purpose. there is the ability to customize the hell out of its appearence. so this way they sell customization parts and make more money. its MS in a nut shell

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Lancetx said:
They've got to be kidding. :eek: When I first saw it, my first thought was that it had Dell Dimension written all over it. It looks absolutely nothing like anything Apple would ever design! :D

identical to the poopy looking dells that my school uses instead its kinda greyish and not black. at least its not as bad as the dells
:p

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I'm not so sure it looks like something that would come from Apple, but saying that I think it's best that it doesn't follow the Apple design ethos.

Consoles aren't supposed to look like computers, they're supposed to be sleek and give an impression of speed and agility from their outward appearance - while also appealing to homeowners concerned about the aesthetics of their living room!

If any of the new consoles looked like my Mac mini I would think they had failed in capturing what a console is all about. The Mac mini style fits perfectly as a computer, but as a console it would look plain and boring.

I wouldn't say the Xbox 360 looks like something Microsoft would design - it's so different from the original. I wouldn't say it looks like a Sony either though as it doesn't have any of the sharp lines and glossy finishes that typifies recent Sony products.

Are the side panels of the Xbox 360 plastic or aluminium? And anyone know if the original Xbox was designed in house or by an external design consultancy?

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Remember when brushed aluminum was rare, now it's everywhere. Apple white products are now getting attention and now everythings white.

So in conclusion.
White is the new brushed aluminum

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It certainly reminds me of Dell, the only difference is that its not black. Its almost like they wanted people to think it was done by Apple, why else use the silver look. Steve would fire a person for such a design.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
snkTab said:
Remember when brushed aluminum was rare, now it's everywhere. Apple white products are now getting attention and now everythings white.
And before that, everything came in fruit-flavored colors after the original iMacs were such a huge hit. Apple sets design trends, that's for sure.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
My fav part from the article posted by clayj.
When people there were asked what company might have made the console, they guessed Sony or Apple. That thrilled Microsoft executives.

At least they know who is best to copy! To me, I would be thrilled to be good and individual. Whatever.

snkTab said:

So in conclusion.
White is the new brushed aluminum

Reminds me of a friend who was shopping for a new refrigerator and noticed that all the models were stainless steel. He remarked that stainless steel was the avocado of the new millenium. (in reference to the 70s appliances that we now view as HIDEOUS).

Aluminum was the new black. White is the new aluminum. Can't get much more stark than that. We'll be hitting faux wood grain soon enough.. :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
jayscheuerle said:
We'll be hitting faux wood grain soon enough.. :p

What do you mean soon? :eek:

You've not been able to move for all the veneer in the design world for the last few years :eek: :p

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
After the original announcement I kinda glossed over the look and simply read into the design attempt as MS just trying a little hard to look less boxey.

The thread tone here and article submitted has just given me the first opportunity to actually look at it and it is quite offending to the eye. Last time major Xbox execs resigned/were pushed either side of the produce release. I'm interesting to see how long it takes before the first board member decides they need to spend more time with their family...

The games will make it sell. Nothing else.

iGav said:
What do you mean soon? :eek:

You've not been able to move for all the veneer in the design world for the last few years :eek: :p

Yeah. And it looks STUNNING with all the chrome accents that are popping up. I wish I still had my '72 Ford Pinto Station Wagon with the wood-sticker sides.. I'm guessing that was the car I was driving when my tar's picture was taken... The women were helpless...

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
jayscheuerle said:
I'm guessing that was the car I was driving when my tar's picture was taken... The women were helpless...
LOL! Love the blonde 'fro dude! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.