Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
I can't get any files to transfer via MSN file sharing, with I on a Windows XP PC that file transfer has worked with with every other Windows MSN user, and the sender on a new Mac with MSN 4.0. She gets a "The connection is blocked" popup right after I accept the trasnfer of the file, and then it ends. Likewise me sending to her. These problems have worked with everyone else she's tried sending files to.

I'm betting these are firewall issues on her end, can anyone share how to help?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Mac MSN Messenger is a little more finnicky. Do you have the OS X firewall turned on?
If so, I made a firewall rule called "MSN Messenger" that allows these ports:
6891-6900

You might try opening those ports on the PC side too.

Lee Tom

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Are you using the very latest version? Supposedly version 4.0 has improved transfer over previous ones.

Lee Tom

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
LeeTom said:
Are you using the very latest version? Supposedly version 4.0 has improved transfer over previous ones.

Lee Tom

Yeah, using 4.0. I found the "improved" file transfer thing ironic, lol.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
If you're behind a NAT, you might try forwarding those ports to your IP? Just a thought...

Lee Tom

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Ok, I'll try that. How would I go about doing that? Btw, thanks for all your help.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Is the other person on a corporate network, or home? If she is on a corporate network, their might not be anything she can do to receive the files as most corporate networks block IM file transfers (depending on the analness of the admins).

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
At home. But it's connecting to the internet via Airport - there's a wireless net thing hooked up to their PC computer. If there was a firewall on on this computer, would that affect the Mac in any way?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
What is the Airport connected to? a router or the cable/dsl modem? If its a router, you will have to setup some port forwarding so the router knows which computer on the network to send it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.