msn deleting and redownloading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meiming8, Aug 6, 2010.

1. meiming8 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm completely new to mac so please bear with me if I'm asking a completely idiotic question. I just downloading msn for my mac, but it turns out it's an outdated version so I want to download a new one. However, it won't let me because I still have the old version. These are the instructions to download the new version and delete the old version.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/messenger-8/default.mspx

I've removed all the msn for mac files on the computer (Step 5 of 'remove this update'.) I don't know how to do step 4 at all, and I've tried to delete the little msn icon but it says I can't because it's 'open'. I don't know what it means by open, because I'm not using it and I can't even log in- if I click on it, it doesn't do anything. I also tried to drag it into the trash, but I missed the trash and now there's a tiny little msn icon that makes duplicates of the msn icon.

I don't really know what I'm doing at all, so could someone please help me? I'm completely lost!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Download and install the program again. Then download AppCleaner (free) and drag the application icon to it and it will remove all the application parts that are scattered around your OS X.

A better Chat client that will do MSN chat is Adium as well as many other chat protocols. You might would want to try this program to see if it fits your needs.