Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
and . . . no one cares. Everyone I know uses AIM or iChat AV. A few of my friends tried ICQ but in the end, they all came back to AIM.

asif3

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Just FYI, MSN is still used a lot here int he UK. We haven't really caught on to AIM.
iChat AV with MSN compatibility would be cool.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I'll stick with Proteus now that I've paid for it. MSN 4 is still not on par with the Windows version so what's the point. Regarding AIM, unfortunately I'm the one I know on a Mac and no-one outside the US uses AIM (plus I get major complaints from people who I try to convert to AIM - it causes system freezes with XP not to mention it's horrid ads and GUI). All my friends are on MSN so I have to like it or lump it.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
SuperChuck said:
That is the ugliest chat interface I have ever seen. I sincerely hope they don't manage to monopolize the chat-app market, as well.

It's unfortunate, but MSN is huge among Canadian youth. Most of them think it's the _only_ chat out there. I've been trying to get some of my friends to switch to AIM so I can use iChat, but it's not easy.

I sure hope MS delivers a kick-ass product... it's embarrasing showing off a Mac with such a pathetic version of MSN (by today's standards).

kotovasii

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2002
Europe
Some do care...

Trowaman said:
and . . . no one cares. Everyone I know uses AIM or iChat AV. A few of my friends tried ICQ but in the end, they all came back to AIM.
The majority of people in Europe (especially UK universities) use either yahoo or MSM, and whether I like it or not I *have* to use MSM to talk to most of my friends, so I guess it IS a good news.
PS AIM is totally American and I know nobody in the old world who actually uses that.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
SuperChuck said:
That is the ugliest chat interface I have ever seen. I sincerely hope they don't manage to monopolize the chat-app market, as well.
Well, I think that outside of America they have. The other problem with AIM is I think the only thing people hate more than Microsoft is AOL... :rolleyes: :D

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
But of course we do...

Trowaman said:

I care, eventhough I don't use it. I actually use fire which has MSN, Yahoo,*AIM, ICQ built in.

It already has the log feature - logging to a web page is actually a cool idea.

Has anyone tried this feature on the PC side? Can they point me to a "logged conversation" webpage? Are there ads on the page?

This would be a REALLY easy way for a website to have a forum.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
kotovasii said:
The majority of people in Europe (especially UK universities) use either yahoo or MSM, and whether I like it or not I *have* to use MSM to talk to most of my friends, so I guess it IS a good news.
PS AIM is totally American and I know nobody in the old world who actually uses that.

intriguing, thank you for enlighting me.

slightly

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
Beacon, NY
I can't believe Microsoft would seriously consider bringing out a new .0 version of MSN Messenger with no audio or video capabilities, when so many freeware products like Skype now have audio as standard.

As many posters have already pointed out, MSN has the largest IM community in the UK (and I believe is second to ICQ in Europe), Since iChat isn't yet compatible with the MSN network, Microsoft can easily tap into the segment of Mac owners who want to be able to use A/V messenging with PC owners.

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
AFAIK, MSN Messenger 4.0 is not Cocoa, so props to them for the port. That alone I guess is worth a .0 update to them.

Keyword: them.

I might actually warm up to it if it doesn't crash or disconnect as often as 3.5.

Really disappointed about the web cam support though.

Wuddel

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
Lots of MSN-usage in "my" institute since you need no admin rights (because it is preinstalled). Here in Germany nearly everyone uses ICQ.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Macrumors said:
ThinkSecret provides a brief overview of the upcoming MSN Messanger 4.0 alongside screenshots of the current beta.

The upgrade provides integration with Entourage:mac 2004, new emoticons, saving conversations as web pages, and other new options.

The new version of Messenger is expected in June.

Anybody succeed in getting the current instant messanger to work? I've got a customer who appears to have lost his password when he attempts to give MSN's website the e-mail address to send his new password to, it never e-mails him a new one. He tries to construct a new account, and again, it doesn't e-mail him the website he needs to confirm his registration. We are sort of stuck because I can't find a direct contact at Microsoft that deals with Mac Messenger issues.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
Microsoft & Apple

In my opinion Microsoft making further versions of apps for osx sucks. I would rather not have any microsoft apps on my mac because that just allows them to make a profit off of us :( I really like how Apple has introduced apps like iChat, Safari, and iTunes to compete with microsofts dominant apps. I mean last time I checked the only applications that ever froze on me on my mac were Word and Internet Explorer.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I don't see why people rate this negative; even if you don't like the MSN solution or protocol, surely it's useful to have an up-to-date implementation? And if it becomes the dominant chat app, then isn't it essential to have one?

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
good to see they are updating MSN for the mac. however, it doesnt look that different to me, and the UI looks almost the same. ill talk to the few people i know on MSN via adium 2.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Pretty sad Microsoft, you have billions and billions of dollars to spend, yet you can't even update your chat client for us so it's worth anything.

And sadly again programmers are doing in their spare time for free what you can't seem to do at all, atleast with aMSN we can view other users profile pictures.

Atleast we get a fair amount of respect in the IM front with AIM and iChat.

MSN - No Video chat, voice chat, chat rooms or profile pictures
Yahoo - no chat rooms, no voice, pathetic 2fps video

Paltalk - I used to use alot when i had a PC. They had planned for a Mac version but backed out, i guess 10+ million(or whatever the current # of OS X users are) more potential users wasn't a big enough carrot for them...

I really wish we could get some standards here, all these different IM makers should be forced to have atleast a common feature set and be able to interoperate with each other, AND work equally as well in that feature set on Mac, Linux and Windows.

We should at the very least:
Be able to text chat with other users
Send files and pictures to other users
View other users profile pictures/avatars
Join multi-user chat rooms
Voice chat with other users
Video chat with other users

Maybe even have voice and or video chats in multi-user chat rooms.

The rest of the stuff in IM clients is useless fluff IMO. And if somone wants to play some games, or have themes for chat windows then each company can advertise that as the killer feature for their client.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
still looks old

i dont' get it. why do they still use the pinstripes? .. have they not realized that a new OS has come out by the name of, Panther?

Geez Louise... get a clue. M$ is always a step behind at least design wise... for example look at the next version of Office.. it still looks like the previous version.. why would anyone be persuaded to buy something that looks exactly the same, and probably doesn't even work as good.

Oh well, just needed to vent a bit. Thanks for listening.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
coolfactor said:
It's unfortunate, but MSN is huge among Canadian youth. Most of them think it's the _only_ chat out there.

I have to agree, everyone I know is locked into msn here in the maritimes, and all my friends from ontario use it exclusively as well. a few remaining pockets of ICQ exist but only as a backup really. like it or not there are millions of msn users and we need to be able to communicate with them. so don't assume nobody cares, this is a pretty big deal to lots of us.

lately i've been using amsn which, while very ugly, is the best solution right now since a number of the third-party clients (fire, proteus, etc.) have been having problems with the msn servers. amsn has a number of features from the windows version, and seeing as how it is only a very early release, it shows a lot of promise. the biggest downside outside it's interface is that it is a processor hog at times.

The Cheat

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
coolfactor said:
It's unfortunate, but MSN is huge among Canadian youth. Most of them think it's the _only_ chat out there. I've been trying to get some of my friends to switch to AIM so I can use iChat, but it's not easy.

So true. Nobody in Canada uses anything other than MSN - well, except some Americans I know who came up here to go to school :rolleyes:. I dream of the day when I get to ditch the terrible MSN client for iChat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.