Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Is there any IM client for Mac that will allow video chats with MSN users on Windows, besides using Virtual PC? Or, to turn that around, are there any IM clients for Windows that allow video chats with both MSN and AOL/iChat?

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
only ichat on the mac does video, and i think yahoo does...

msn doesn't and i doubt it will for sometime, but dMSN, an opensource mac client claims they will have a video msn client soon, we'll see....

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
Since when on dmsn did they say that they would duke? Last time I checked danny said that since they don't have msn's video code, don't expect it for a while :p.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apparently, MS' Mac Business Unit doesn't have their MSN Messenger video code either. I learned about that tonight. I love how it brings up a link to the Windows version. :mad:

Yahoo! Messenger always breaks on a friend's Windows machine so I guess AIM 5.5/iChat is the only workable combination.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
bousozoku said:
Apparently, MS' Mac Business Unit doesn't have their MSN Messenger video code either. I learned about that tonight. I love how it brings up a link to the Windows version. :mad:

Yahoo! Messenger always breaks on a friend's Windows machine so I guess AIM 5.5/iChat is the only workable combination.

i use yahoo messenger for video chat all the time with windows users. i experience no problems. its just a pain that you cant use voice. the quality and speed of the video on ichat is much better though.

jay

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
j_maddison said:
i use yahoo messenger for video chat all the time with windows users. i experience no problems. its just a pain that you cant use voice. the quality and speed of the video on ichat is much better though.

jay

ditto

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
AHDuke99 said:
only ichat on the mac does video, and i think yahoo does...

msn doesn't and i doubt it will for sometime, but dMSN, an opensource mac client claims they will have a video msn client soon, we'll see....

Kevlar said:
Since when on dmsn did they say that they would duke? Last time I checked danny said that since they don't have msn's video code, don't expect it for a while :p.

Current release:

Currently working on:
Direct Filetransfer receiving
Tic Tac Toe user interface
Webcam receiving

Next public release date:
1/7/2004

Latest changes:
see Changelog

I checked and dMSN allready mentions of someone has a webcam, but I didn't tried to receive yet ;-)

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
It hasn't even been started to be put into dmsn by what I have read. (yes it does tell if someone has a webcam or not...but thats it) Also it looks like the developer is trying to avoid the webcam issue until they get some of the other features finished. But hopefully they will get it done :).

Also it seems that on amsn cvs they have started there audio and video coding for webcam support.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
stoid said:
Yahoo! video thing is NOT video, it's a webcam. Period. It sucks. iChat kicks it's ass in so many ways it's not even funny.
i second that...transmitting still images and calling it video chat sucks..

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
abhishekit said:
i second that...transmitting still images and calling it video chat sucks..

Well thats true, but for most people iChat is just not an option. In fact ive never got it to work for more than a few seconds with AIM users. I know that AIM is popular in the states, but its just not that popular at all in teh uk. i have two people on my list that use it regularly, and their american! Odly enough out of all the mac users i know in the uk, im the only one who uses ichat!

I for one desperately need msn to have web cam facilities, hell i dont care if it doesnt have the quality of ichat. i just want voice and video that i can use with pc users, and quite frankly ichat sucks because it is a closed standard. Yes i know aim users can use it, but if i dont know anyone who uses aim and i cant even get it to work, then i see that as a closed standard.

in fact alot of apples features are heavily american based.

jay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.