MSNBC called on the carpet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Dec 3, 2016.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Love how the guest nails Hillary and MSNBC and the Washington Post in one shot!

The left still doesn't see how out of touch they are.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You say that like we're almost to the midterm elections?

3. SLC Flyfishing, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I say that like they have an inability to grasp why they (as a group) got their collective asses handed to them a few weeks ago.

No self awareness!

I still have coworkers railing on about how stupid, ignorant and hateful the average middle-American is, and how they can't believe Trump could be elected.

Think it might have something to do with the fact that the Left thinks the average American is stupid, ignorant, and hateful?

4. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

The sooner the better. If the lefts only plan is to hope that trump fails while pelosi brings in play money the midterms are already a bust.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The left is weak, they'll fall in line.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Collective asses handed to them? Correct me where I'm wrong, because I honesty may be looking at something incorrectly.

We know that Hillary got more votes, by a healthy margin, but lost it due to the electoral system. I don't call that an ass-handing.

Senate is currently 44 Democrat, 54 Republican, 2 Independent. The 2016 Election resulted in 48 Democrats, 51 Republicans. Democrats gained 4 seats. Republicans lost 3. That's not an ass-handing. Democrats gained, just not enough.

House is currently 188 Democrat, 247 Republican. The 2016 Election resulted in 194 Democrats, 239 Republicans. Democrats gained 6 seats. Republicans lost 8. That's not an ass-handing. Democrats gained, just not enough.

Didn't only three states change governors from Democrat to Republican? That's not really an ass-handing.

So, where is this ass-handing you're talking about?

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

The right already fell in line the trump conga line. Or the hook line and sinker.

8. Scepticalscribe, Dec 3, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Or like lemmings heading over a cliff line.....

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

We don't go by popular vote, no matter how many times the left wants to bring it up. Also, campaigning was done with this in mind. If it would have been done by popular vote the candidates would have done things much differently, so You would have a different popular vote outcome if that was the way things were done. So we really don't know who would have won a popular vote election, but in order for better parity we use an electoral college.

Edit: Why does the left continue to whine over presidential election outcomes. We saw it with Gore, and now this. Is this going to become an every election thing? If so then we need to get a big wheel of cheese to go with it :)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    MSNBC? Never heard of it :)

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wow....how short are you that the point went THAT far over your head?!

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The lack of jobs and bleak economic picture in the Rust Belt gave the election to Trump.

I don't think those people voted Republican because of the left's reputation for elitism and arrogance. Trump is the textbook definition of elitism and arrogance, but he promised a different way and a better future for them.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No, he says that like the Democrats are about to select a "Muslim with homophobia, anti-semitism, and anti-Americanism in his background, who has advocated racial segregation, along with having connections to jihadists. And Ellison’s a 9/11 Truther who compared the collapse of the twin towers to the Reichstag Fire." as their new leader. You can't get more out of touch than that.

13. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

A lot of people I speak to are sick of being looked down on by leftists. The constant drone of "bigot, ignorant, uneducated, racist, sexist, xenophobic" usually all in the same sentence, for anyone who is white and considering not voting democrat has made a lot of people out here in my area angry, and it appears to have gotten them engaged.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

15. Scepticalscribe, Dec 3, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think these people were angry anyway - anger seems to be the default setting of some of them - and the emergence of Mr Trump as a candidate allowed them to express that anger.

And, to deny that Mr Trump allowed and enabled and encouraged and facilitated the clear expression of sentiments such as sexism, and racism - and celebrated them - or certainly made welcome some who held such views and had felt irrationally oppressed because to express such loathsome views openly hadn't been considered societally acceptable in decades - is to miss the point of part of what he stood for.

16. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

How is that even a response? You find 5 idiots for a tabloid newscast and ask them questions. Sure the responses are comedic gold, but that isn't a refutation to SLC Flyfishing.

17. 1458279 Suspended

I'll take a shot at this one:

The Senate is chopped up into about thirds and each election tends to have a lean to it. It's dependent on who's up and are they strong or weak.

This time, the Dems had the upper hand in the Senate based on the number of seats for the Dems/GOP. The 2018 is a GOP favored swing because of the number of seats up for the Dems/GOP.

Point #1: the Dems had an "expected win" in the Senate.

The WH was a never ran outsider being outspent by what has to be the largest margin in US election history for 2 pres runners. Huff had the odds at some 98% Hillary win. Hillary was going to take Red states like not seen in a long, long time.

Point #2: the HUUUGE underdog won

Since Obama became Pres, the number of elected seats going Right has been historic. Some 900 then 700 in then midterms. Obama has been the greatest strength for the GOP in at least 100 years.

Thanks to this last election, the GOP has more control than in the last about 100 years.

Point #3: the cumulative effect

The US Supreme Court pics don't come every day and have a very long effect. The SC was very divided.
    4 of the people on the SC are either about 78 years old or dead.
    Donald J Trump will be placing from 1 to 4 or more pics. The end result could be 7-2 split for many, many years to come.

Point #4: the Supreme Court pics have gone from Obama to Trump

The nuke option by Sen Reid. Sen Reid went nuclear on the GOP when he smashed the GOP with a nuclear bomb. He changed the rules of the US Senate. Now, the GOP has fillbuster proof control over the US Senate. This means that ZERO Dems are needed for Donald J Trump to get anyone he wants anywhere he wants them.

Point #5: fillbuster proof control over the US Senate

The 2018 mid-terms are very favorable to the GOP, the Dems have more seats at risk and the GOP is full expected to make HUUUUGE gains in both the House and Senate. Given the Dems mid-term turn outs of the past decade, they stand to lose a lot more power.

Point #6: 2018 mid-terms favorable to GOP based on seats up.

The GOP hasn't been this close to being able to amend the US Constitution in some 100 years without ANY support from the Dems. That means that Donald J Trump might be able to do ANYTHING he wants to the US Constitution without ONE SINGLE VOTE from any Dem. It might mean that they'll have to win a few more seats here and there, or swing a few votes here and there, but they are very, very close.

It's down to what 1 gov now? Just imagine how historic that would be. They could add 10, 20 amendments. They could the direction of the US forever and the Dems wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/article-v.html

You can call that anything you want, but we are where we are and it's not looking good for the Dems. They have no bench, no direction, no power, nothing.
    They don't even know why they lost. Pretty much everything that Obama has done, can be wiped out with a phone and a pen.

BO_BestRepPartyEver.jpg

18. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Lot's of claims that Democrats are weak, can't get over the results, are out of touch, etc. But I am still trying to figure out how Trump and the Republican party helps the average American.

If you are religious, or need oil, coal, or gas jobs, that is your party. I get that.

The Republican party wants to cut taxes, and regulations. So how will the average person be protected? Have you looked at your cable or phone bill lately? FYI, the FCC is going to be gutted. When banking regulation get's eased (And it will happen with two former Goldman Sachs execs in Trump's administration) again how will this help you? When corporate America get's tax breaks, and the wealthy are enjoying a better life, are you going to wait for some scraps to trickle down to you?

The environment will suffer. Whether or not you believe in climate change is not the point. Pollution, oil spills, and drilling will continue. It will damage our lands. Renewables will not be pursued. It will interfere with the oil industry.

I think the Republican party has some good ideas, but after eight years of blocking everything Obama did, how can you expect the left to just fall in line? Woman will get paid less, minorities will continue to be victimized, schools will suffer, and racism will continue.

But let's get on and deal with the important things like hanging a confederate flag in a state capital, not selling cakes to the LGBT community, and making sure we all pray to god in schools and government buildings, because after all there is only one religion right?

Should I start putting pressure on my Black and Philippine neighbors to "Go back to where they came from" now? or should I wait for Trump policies to take effect?

19. LizKat, Dec 3, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah it probably doesn't help to call people bigots, ignorant, uneducated, racist, sexist or xenophobic even if they are, because you're right, no one wants to hear that.

The right leaning people I know (some of whom are xenophobes) are not angry about being name-called. No one they read or listen to is calling them names anyway. They're mad as hell (and confused) about why Trump is picking some of the people he's picking and doing some of the things he's doing.

Even when I volunteered to a friend at lunch the other day that it's not totally nuts to pick a hedge fund manager as a Treasury Department head, for example, what I got back was "Yeah but how is that draining the swamp, he's Goldman Sachs like every other treasury secretary."

Well yeah, but. Well. Would she be happier with some ivory tower economist instead? Maybe not.

I mean it was weird to be arguing on behalf of Donald Trump, and LOSING the argument. With a Trump voter.

Really in the end I didn't know what to say to her to convince her it would work out okay. I'm not sold myself but tbh I think I'm less desolate about his pending inauguration now than she is and she voted for him. Some year, 2016.

Part of the brouhaha about whatever Trump does or says now is that the watch is still Obama's for another seven weeks and we've not had an incoming President be so outspoken and activist and yet seemingly uninterested in his briefing options during the transition. That truly is different. The media naturally enough make a big deal out of that. I'm inclined now to tune some of that out and just read the FT for awhile. At least they're not breathless about either the way "the left" or "the right" are acting post-election, yet their briefings link to other media for anything that strikes them as particularly revealing. I like it that the holidays are going to overlay a lot of this crap for me personally.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is your average Trump supporter who just listen to soundbites and lies and treat it as gospel. This is how Trump got elected, people like that.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

200 critical counties flipped their votes this time from Obama to Trump. What kind of people were they?

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Purple counties. It will happen again. It keeps happening in counties of my CD, for 10 years now, even after redistricting and what the GOP thought was a nailed-shut case of gerrymandering for their own.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That's not a relevant answer. Those counties voted for Obama twice and now they voted for Trump. Why?

Were they sexist and/or racists who just realized it? Did their IQs fall drastically since the last election?

Please enlighten us.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Of course the purpleness is relevant. They'll flip again when they are not satisifed with their government. Purple counties are generally more attuned to economic issues than to ideological ones, hence the flippiness.