MSNBC Drops Olbermann, Matthews as News Anchors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 8, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090800008.html?hpid=topnews

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080908/pl_politico/20838;_ylt=AieIQHY8P8VbysskJsaO2sWs0NUE

It had to happen. Olberman was far from objective in his reporting. A role as commentator is what he should have been doing all along. IMO, Matthews is just too shrill to be an anchor.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Olbermann was probably the only "way out there" liberal talk show host. There's plenty of conservative hosts who are "far from objective", as you say... O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc. I don't see a push to get rid of those types.

It's that damn liberal leaning media again!

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ha, those were the only two I actually watched!

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

listen to NPR, or watch PBS for objectives.

MSNBC CNN, Fox existed for their audiences, i dont need MSNBC to be objective as long as fox exists.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can't have Olberman be a commentator and a news host. His actions clearly tainted NBC News. I agree with him on many issues but his views have no place as an anchor of news coverage.

You mention O'Reilly and Limbaugh but both are commentators and not newsmen. Sadly, many can't tell the difference.

6. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought Olbermann was surprisingly objective at the RNC. I expected a lot more negativity coming from him, most of which didn't happen.

And as someone who was in NYC on 9/11, I totally agreed with his comments about the tribute video. To continue to use 9/11 as a platform plank is despicable.

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's probably because they didn't send him to Minneapolis; he anchored from the studio. They say it was because of the hurricane but I think the writing was on the wall and they couldn't make a change until after the convention.

I agree with your 9/11 comments.

The ads for 9/11 coverage have started here and it's disgusting how the TV stations are trying to use it to build ratings.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

It is all about roles though. If he is on as a commentator, then by all means, tell people your opinion. When he is there as a news anchor, it is his job to give the news and limit his personal interjections. I don't think he was anywhere near impartial. That being said, most if not all news networks have long since ceased being news networks and have become news makers. Hopefully the general public is smart enough to realize this.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I would agree exactly.

10. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I agree, but I have to fault MSNBC for making him an anchor in the first place. Anyone who has ever watched Olbermann knows his views, and to expect him to remain objective was silly. But again, he didn't rip into most of the RNC speakers the way he would have (and may yet do) on his show.

11. MacHipster macrumors 6502

It's a good move. It would be better to have David Gregory and Tom Brokaw host MSNBC's political broadcasts and have Olbermann and Matthews as part of a panel. Also, NBC News and MSNBC News are not the same organization, technically. NBC News is hosted by Brian Williams.

On a personal note, my favorite political coverage was Brian Williams, Tom Brokaw, and Tim Russert on NBC in 2006. Sadly, that can never happen again.

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I hope he does because they deserve a damned good trouncing for it.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is all under the NBC News umbrella. And they are both in the same building now.

14. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

15. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I despise Keith Olbermann. he should be ashamed of himself.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He really should go back to what he does decent, sports. I see they reunited him and Dan Patrick last light.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WTF?!!

i actually enjoyed watching olbermans show.

18. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Read more then just a headline. They were removed as anchors of election coverage. His show will still be on.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Why should he be ashamed of himself?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

oh thank god, my mistake. Usually i do actually read, but i needed to express my concern there.

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can answer that for him.

Because Keith was for Obama and not Clinton.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So there were internal disputes at NBC over the MSNBC people, huh? NBC seems to be afraid of being tainted with the "liberal" brush.

I chose to watch Matthews' and Olbermann's coverage during the convention, and found it refreshingly honest. I object to NBC's apparent feeling that I'm too stupid to know the difference between NBC News' reportorial coverage and the commentary and analytical style found on MSNBC. If Fox can spin the news in the conservative direction 24/7, I don't think it's asking too much to allow alternative views to be aired on another channel.

It's too bad MSNBC isn't an independent network. This never would've happened. It's just the NBC people fearing a conservative backlash.

What's funny is that I just found out about Maddow getting her own show, and was thinking of starting a thread complimenting MSNBC for having the guts to remake itself as "the anti-Fox". Now I guess I'll hold off on the plaudits.

You would.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Of course, how could I have been so foolish.

24. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I personally think that this is a good thing. I'm fine with Olbermann and Matthews hosting commentary programs, but not actual unbiased news. Just like I wouldn't like to see Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity hosting an evening news program.

Don