MSNBC Enters Crime Scene

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Dec 4, 2015.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

A baffling, surreal scene just played out on the two networks, where the landlord of the San Bernardino shooting suspects apparently allowed reporters into their apartment.

The result was disturbing. On live national television, reporters sifted through the remains of the lives of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. They picked over children’s toys. They held up photos, speculating about whether the woman depicted in one might be Malik. They displayed Social Security cards and driver’s licenses with readily identifiable information—and not just for the deceased suspects:

As if the journalistic irresponsibility of baselessly speculating while holding up images of potentially innocent people on TV wasn’t bad enough, it beggars belief the scene wasn’t taped off and guarded. Reporters were given free rein to walk through an apartment that is an important part of the investigation, and they were allowed to handle what one would expect to be evidence. Police didn’t appear to know the media tour was going on.

Senator Lindsey Graham, appearing on MSNBC via phone just as the network cut away from the footage, expressed astonishment that reporters were being allowed into the scene. Shocked reporters expressed revulsion on Twitter.

Stupid is as stupid does.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good grief, is it any wonder why people don't trust the media?

I can't believe that the apartment wasn't taped off and watched so stupid stuff like this didn't happen.

3. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Movie suggestion: Nightcrawler

Is tampering with a crime scene a felony or misdemeanor?

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

You should be directing your outrage at the people, i.e. the police, who ultimately have the responsibility of locking down and preventing anyone from entering the crime scene.

5. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This isn't "outrage" this is more like "raised eyebrows" "can't believe they just did that" reaction.

But did they have to put the license on camera?

[​IMG]

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Agreed, they acted very irresponsibly but that is what the media does. The police should have sealed the apartment off with police tape.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

MSNBC wasn't the only network there.

Maybe some incidents like this will wake the masses up so they realize that CNN, MSNBC, FNN, etc are not news and their reporters are not "journalists". They're sensationalism-driven gossip queens who are trying to fill 24 hour entertainment channels.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The FBI cleared the scene, local PD said the apartment was only open to the family.

CNN reported that people showed up and boarded it up again and the landlord was taken away.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I blame the authorities, for not securing the crime scene.
    And he was never seen again.

10. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So the landlord let them in? Do you have a link?

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Here is a Tweet regarding FBI saying it was cleared. I can't find the Tweet regarding the PD now.

[​IMG]

It was live TV regarding the landlord being taken away.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They're coming to take him away, haha, hoho, hehe.

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Why do the police have the responsibility of locking it down if it's no longer a crime scene?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Holy ****, that is.... I don't even have words to describe this.

How can this be legal? How is the apartment not locked down?????

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

perpetuating what?

17. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

FBI and police made a big mistake with this. Someone needs to be fired over this.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't have a link but MSNBC showed the landlord walking people in to the apartment.

Donald Trump also saw thousands and thousands of people in there, celebrating.

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

And Obama saw his son.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, knuckleheads can't have it both ways. If the general consensus is that the apartment no longer has any probative value to the case, then you can't complain about the media compromising the integrity of the crime scene. Maybe the blowhards need to think first instead of mounting their usual incoherent attacks.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ha, Obama was yapping before the bodies were cold.

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

You seem to have Obama derangement syndrome. My comment has absolutely nothing to do with him and nor does this thread.

24. Populism, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

To whom are you directing "knucklehead" and "blowhards" and "incoherent attacks".

Humor us with specifics.

The OP was rightly noting the strangeness of this. But it doesn't appear that he was the one losing his bodily functions over the matter with needless hyperbole.

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Agreed, the authorities who allowed this should have never done so but the media are unscrupulous bottom feeding sharks that will do anything for ratings. I'm probably just cynical in my old age but I can't stand to watch them sensationalize things anymore and have moved on to news aggregates that show all headlines.