MSNBC "not the place for breaking news".

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jun 4, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/b...breaking-news.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&src=twr&
    Not sure how they can survive as just talking heads and not do breaking coverage.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I watch CNN because I can watch it online.

I only tune in when something so crazy happens, it's on every station (such as the Boston Marathon bombing). I dislike CNN and would watch MSNBC if I could. They must be doing something right.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Not sure what they are doing right, they have dropped to 4th in the ratings behind HLN. When Nancy Grace gets more viewers there is a problem.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

None of these networks get a lot of views. Compare the number of viewers for any of these hack job networks to the amount of people in this country.

I bet at least 5 times as many people turn into the nightly news on regular NBC, CBS, or ABC.

Cable news isn't about reporting news, it's about sensationalism and selling ad dollars. If you notice, whenever there's a really big news story, the major networks break in to whatever they're showing with coverage. NBC wouldn't break in to their regular programming if their cable network was truly dedicated to talking about the news.. they know it's just a bunch of oversensationalism of politics.

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Yet they're the only ones that didn't run with "SUPREME COURT SLAMS DOWN OBAMACARE" fifteen seconds after the (opposite) ruling came out.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Not sure how the home and garden network can survive by just showing houses. Not sure how the food network can survive just showing cooking shows. Not sure how the golf network can survive just showing golf all day. Etc.

P-Worm

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Those networks are not competing with other networks, those are niche channels.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

MSNBC is mostly unwatchable. I like Chris Matthews and Morning Joe. Dylan Ratigan was pretty good too.

But the rest of their lineup is damn HORRIBLE. Their evening lineup is especially horrendous. Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes are laughable as pundits, Lawrence O'Donnell is a out of his mind, and Ed Schultz is the worst of the worst.

There's a reason more people tune into CNN and FOX.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The "about" page at http://tv.msnbc.com/about/ sure seems to give the impression that it does...

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Technically Microsoft sold off it's stake in the network. So the name is outdated.

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sure, Microsoft sold off their interests, and MSNBC is now owned by NBC New or perhaps NBC Digitial, but the name MSNBC is still in use and it's still an active trademark, etc.

Try going to the "about" page at http://tv.msnbc.com/about/ page and count how many times "msnbc" appears on that page.

I count 105 occurrences of "msnbc" on that page.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

A best of the worst argument:D?

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I find Chris Matthews grating, but Chris Hayes and Steve Kornacki are interesting, and Rachel Maddow brings a good sense of humor to the network...and keeps her facts straight.

Griffin is right about the ratings thing. It's volatile. Not that long ago, CNN and Fox were on the decline and MSNBC was rising. Meh.

And while Griffin may say breaking news is not their thing, they did an excellent job on the Boston Marathon bombing. Not surprising, since they had the resources of NBC News at their disposal, and unlike their parent network, didn't have to worry about pre-empting Jay Leno or switching back to local stations.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I like Rachel Maddow also. I refreshing to see a combative young female on a news channel.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Also?

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

"and Rachel Maddow brings a good sense of humor to the network...and keeps her facts straight"

Post above mine??

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The word I keep hearing used for Rachel Maddow is "smug". I must confess, I have no clue what that is supposed to mean. Is it because she enjoys what she does and does it well? Or was it because of that "GOP in the Wilderness" thing she used to do?