MSNBC's Joy Reid apologizes for new wave of controversial blog posts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

There is a double standard when it comes to the consequences against the left vs the right within the media. The right should just call it a win if anyone from MSNBC actually apologizes for anything.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m sure she’d use the I’m just a comedian excuse if she could.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Didn't work for Rosanne, but then again she was being racist and not just mean.

... isn't anyone suspicious of the timing of this release... 11 years have gone by. Do the pawn sacrifices have to be equal on partisan sides?

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Wait do you think the right apologizes for things?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2018 ---
    Hold it....she isn't smart enough to delete her old posts by now?

8. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Michelle Wolf really cheesed you, didn’t she?

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Well they got two of ours for one of theirs so let's get moving on taking their queen.

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

When did Roseanne use that excuse? Plenty of Liberals did for Samantha Bee though.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2018 ---
    Well I was thinking of Samantha Bee but you can throw Michelle Wolf in there too.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I thought we covered that the tweets from years ago. She apologized, and has tried over time to make amends.

More importantly, unlike Roseanne, she hasn't maintained a history of such tweets to this day.

You guys really aren't going to be satisfied until someone else is fired are you? o_O

If you're still seething over Samantha Bee, remember 45 has called a woman the c-word 3X, and you haven't asked for him to be fired on 1X. And he meant the c-word to be sexist each time.

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

When it comes to the judgement of higher ups at the news networks the most controversial and likely fireable offense their anchors or correspondents could tell or post is the actual truth.

But that never happens so there’s this. And I’m not even talking fake news. I’m talking about the real motivations of the government and corporations. Which party is currently in control has zero relevance on these facts.

13. niji, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

niji Contributor

niji

msnbc, joy's employer, is making the distinction that her more recent (last 5+) years of actions and writings proves that she has grown in maturity and social awareness since the time of these (and similar) writings.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

They know this. They are still hunting for a false equivalence fall guy, to make up for Roseanne getting herself fired.

15. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06...ith-the-word-he-wants-samantha-bee-fired-for/

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Sean Hannity is batting for her. Never thought I'd see that happen. I can't comment on this myself. Many, many years ago I wasn't a very nice person and I had strong views that would disgust most people here, including my modern self. I changed. It wasn't easy, but I did.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ever heard the WayBack Machine? ;)

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I looked it up. After finding them, they are now deleted. How can someone delete them and why didn’t they do this the first time?

19. chown33 macrumors 604

In chess, advancing a pawn turns it into a queen.
    In politics, advancing a queen turns it into a pawn.

20. IWantItThatWay Suspended

robots.txt

If you put that, it takes the site off Wayback machine. You still have to have access to the website to do so though.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Conservatives - instead of denouncing racism and the president's epic moron insults and comments - prefer to find bad acts on the other side to balance out their racist, bigoted behaviors. Especially racism.

Even if Reid was fired and lambasted by the media, they would claim it was liberals trying to prove some "moral high ground" like they did when Franken was pressured to resign. They'd whine if nobody did anything, and they whined when he was asked to resign.

Trump's brand of conservatism wants everything to be equal to defend their dog whistles or outright racist behavior. It's become really clear under the Trump presidency that a lot of issues are not only still there, but bigger than we imagined. He has emboldened a lot of people who otherwise would exercise more control over their less-than-respectable thoughts.

As for Joy Reid, the good thing about progressiveness and liberalism is that its far more open to change. She may have had biased/bigoted views before. She has since changed, and this was clear before these comments were publicly known. Her change wasn't a facade in the face of pressure.

Drumpf and his staff of liars and cover-uppers are free to denounce comments from anyone they deem offensive. Their selective outrage and refusal to even remain quiet about either issue shows their lack of sincerity and their double-standards.

22. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

It appears that Joy Reid is completely disingenuous in her apologies. The "I've changed" doesn't work when you brazenly lie and initially swear that you were hacked. After a complete investigation finding no evidence of hacking, She had to sheepishly admit that she made it up. Then, she lied again. She said that she "didn't remember" writing all that. When even her coworkers said that was blatantly bogus, and they found other e-mails where she doubled down on her comments, she backed off that. Then she lied again. Reid said that maybe somebody else wrote those posts because she wouldn't have written anything like that.
    People who are sincere about changes they made over time freely admit (see post above) that they did some crappy things and have changed. They don't lie, claim hacking, claim amnesia, and then blame others. The "I've changed" narrative only started since NBC hired a media crisis manager after her serial lies were proven false.

My own views are that all speech should be allowed and let the people decide to boycott, or not, the shows they are on. Free speech is there to protect disgusting speech, not nice speech. But in this name-calling, political, cat fight I guess we want scalps to hold up. On the other hand, free speech applies only to the government, not private corporations, so they can fire you for whatever they want (and your contract says).

"I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself." Oscar Wilde

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Let me know when Trump apologizes for anything.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah that is pretty funny. However the difference is that one was posted publicly and knowingly, and the other was recorded during a private moment in 2005 and then released a month before a presidential election in 2016, deliberately to harm a candidate.

I know it's subtle but I'm sure the fair minded people here can and will appreciate the difference.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes. Clearly Trump was the victim. Certainly not the women he's assaulted.