MTV, BET and CMT are casting the audience for town hall meeting with President Obama.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

The Backstage.com listing:

PRESIDENT OBAMA TOWN HALL, MTV

MTV, BET and CMT are casting the audience for town hall meeting with President Obama. Shooting Oct. 14, 4 p.m. in Washington, D.C.

Seeking—Audience Members: males & females, 18+.

To apply, email townhallaudience@mtvnmix.com and put “Town Hall” in the subject line. To ensure that the audience represents diverse interests and political views, include your name, phone number, hometown, school attending, your job and what issues, if any, you are interested in or passionate about. Also, provide a recent photo and short description of your political views. Submission deadline: Oct. 14. No pay.

Kelly McAndrew, a spokeswoman for Viacom, which owns MTV, said the screening was aimed at attracting a diverse audience.

"We’re just trying to get the broadest, most diverse audience possible," she said, denying that either Republicans or ugly people would be screened out. "We want to have divergent points of view – we’re not looking for a single-view audience."

"We’re going to have a very diverse looking audience," McAndrew said. "We want gender diversity, we want ethnicity diversity, we want religious diversity, we want political view diversity. We want diversity of all kinds."

Astroturn fail.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's the problem here. With MTV, BET and CMT, it sounds like they'll get a diverse group.

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

The problem is that they are casting a "townhall meeting."

The problem is that it will be covered and portrayed as a townhall meeting, showing only the kind of people that they want "representing" them.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm guessing you're assuming they're only going to pick MTV and BET viewers, and not CMT viewers? =P

5. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

It warms my heart to see the joy you guys take in stereotyping and generalizing. Project much?

But no, I could care less.

I do care that they are going to act like its a "town hall meeting" (self proclaimed) despite it being a far cry from one. I do care that they are going to stage a "town hall meeting" which are traditionally open to the public, "come one come-all," and reduce it to nothing more than a masterfully crafted publicity stunt which will have the perfectly hand-selected blend of whites, mexicans, blacks, jews, youngsters and geezers to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

This is what marketing firms and ad agencies should be concerning themselves with, not what the white house should be wasting our money bothering with.

But seriously, you can take your assumptions and shove them... Well yeah. Race-baiting culture-wars demonstrative right here:

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can't take a joke?

My dad watches CMT.

Edit: My apologies matt, I just realized I didn't put the =P at the end. I can see how you would have taken that the wrong way. Again, my bad.

7. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

It was not a joke. It is your honest-to-god mental image of a conservative, as well as many others as illustrated by the "quoted for truth" response.

Funny the first time I have heard that stereotype projected from a liberal. Not funny the millionth time.

EDIT: :p

Funny how a smiley face can actually make a huge difference on the tubes. Understood and accepted! ;)

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks for understanding :)

Anyone else kind of annoyed at how CMT has been watered down throughout the years to the point where its almost an offshoot of mtv? All the women's videos have become sexualized and the guy's songs are borderline pop/country fusion. Let's just ignore the whole Taylor Swift thing...

Whats that about?

9. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I stopped listening to country music when Garth Brooks tried to be "Chris Gaines." Jeez I must have been like 10 :D

But you are pretty spot on.... Just think "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy." So NOT country music.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

See I don't even listen to country, unless its already on the radio it becomes good "background noise", but it still bothers me how diluted our media is becoming as a whole. I feel like in 20 years we'll all be watching a sexified version of futurama's HypnoToad.

All glory to the hypnotoad!

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

There are more than one stereotypical conservatives.

First, Nascar, CMT, farmer, "hickey type" with a beat up John Deere Hat, etc... (BTW, that stereotype comes from the right, not the left.)

Second, trust fund daddies and their babies who live off billion dollar trust funds, pay no taxes, and fund massive GOP election efforts.

Third, tea party people who are supposedly every race, but mostly white. Who claim to be both conservative and liberals that are disenfranchised, but who are voting consistently republican. Who claim to support the constitution, but want to amend it. Who fight for individual rights, unless those rights include the right to marry, reproduce or not, or choose not to be religious.

Fourth, I forgot the Wall Street, Corporate executive, and overseas nationals who (edit) OPPOSE NOT SUPPORT [my bad] any effort by the right to encourage domestic employment.

I'd love to hear someone from the right give their view of their stereotype of their own side.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And yet none of those are more annoying than the know-it-all "hipster" stereotype :(

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This certainly won't be the first or last "townhall meeting" that was selectively cast. I think most viewers understand that they didn't just open up the doors to whoever wants to attend. Besides, these are all national networks. What "town" are they supposed to represent?

A townhall meeting means that the people in attendance ask the questions as opposed to a moderator in a debate. It doesn't literally mean that the whole town gathers at the local grange to grill the president.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

A townhall where they try to include every race, every point of view, every gender, etc... has to be better than the lilly white, conservative, male dominated town halls that fox-news promoted... right?

15. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Thank you for discussing the actual issue!!!

I get that, but what good is a "townhall" if they are holding casting calls for it? They are choosing people based on their photo, age, political leanings.

All in all I see a useless astroturf event.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Perhaps they don't want it to be an astroturf event. Perhaps they are doing a casting call to make sure there is a mix of races, genders, and political views.

Duh.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You really don't see any use in having the president have to answer questions and elaborate on his reasoning behind them? :confused:

I don't care who's asking the questions, the more we make our politicians talk the better.

18. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I agree, the more they talk the better...

But what good is the talking if it is only talking that has been approved and hand-picked from a casting call? He might as well have his staff write the questions and distribute them to the "audience."

And why on earth do they need pictures of the people to aid in deciding on participants? Because the Obama administration wants it to look like pretty people support him?

???

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think the key word missing here is "format". A townhall meeting is a description of a debate format and not literally a gathering of townsfolk.

I think this article sums it up well...

The Town Hall Debate Format

Tonight’s presidential debate will feature the “town hall” format that has been used once in every election cycle since 1992. Frankly, I’ve always found this format rather hokey: the notion that “ordinary people” – as opposed to famous correspondents – are being “given the chance” to ask questions of the candidates smacks of MSM condescension. Still, the town halls are interesting in a number of key ways.

First, they are the only debate format in which television viewers can get a real-time glimpse of public response to candidates’ answers. Whereas an unseen audience is asked to refrain from applauding during the traditional debate formats, town hall debate broadcasts focus in on audience members’ facial responses, and follow-up questions can hint at dissatisfaction with candidates’ previous responses.

Second, town hall debates fundamentally alter how the candidates must talk about issues. Whereas candidates typically use the traditional formats to demonstrate a superior understanding of policy, they must use the town hall debate formats to demonstrate a superior understanding of the American people. This requires bringing national or global issues down to the communal and personal level.

Third, town hall debates change how the candidates must present themselves. When candidates stand behind podiums during traditional debate formats, the goal is to appear maximally presidential – strong, confident, and capable. But without podiums or fixed placement – and surrounded by hundreds of “ordinary” voters – the goal is to appear personable and likable.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So why do all the right-wing, tea party candidates avoid the media, refuse to debate, and basically refuse to answer questions? Makes no sense to me why anyone would vote for someone who refused to stand up and tell their constituents what they stand for.

If the casting call was designed to find all liberals, or all blacks, or all disatisfied voters, or all tea-party, or all white, or all whatever, that would make sense, but it isn't. By its own terms, they are looking for a diverse group of people. Age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and political viewpoint. What's your problem with that?

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Isn't it in your op?

On what basis are you asserting that this isn't what they are doing?

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Pfft. I was calling people annoying know-it-all hipsters like six years before most people knew what an annoying know-it-all hipster was. Now the entire concept has been packaged and sold and it's just not worth it. I'm just going to sit up all night drinking PBR and generally being too cool for things then sleep in until two instead.

Honestly I'm not sure if I'm seeing astroturfing so much as useless TV suits creating this event and then treating it like it's reality TV programming because that's all they know how to do, and which is probably what they've always done to an extent, but it just seems awfully crass to openly cast for this in this way. They may not want to stack the deck so much as they just want an interesting mix of quirky, edgy, charismatic, telegenic kids to make "good television." That's just how those people think. I'm reminded of a Simpsons episode where a TV executive sees Moe has been cast for something and says, "I meant TV ugly, not ugly ugly!" They want "normal" people in the audience in only the same way "Ugly Betty" is ugly.

A lot of what's deeply wrong with the national dialogue right now is not understanding that there should be a philosophical air gap between political programming and "good television," because the latter is by definition a simulation of reality whose accuracy is at best secondary to its ability to be "interesting" and attract a popular audience.

23. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

What do they have to do with this? I agree with you, but its not relevant to this issue!

They say they are looking for a diverse group of people. We don't know this.

Why can't they just randomly select people from a pool of applicants? Again, why do they need to see a picture?

EDIT: Gelfin, I totally agree. I guess that was more my main point. This is going to be a TV spectacle meant to bolster approval ratings.

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Please, for the love of Jeebus, find me American news or political programming that isn't just spectacle at this point. Anywhere. Seriously. We're dying out here.

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Only because a liberal is willing to stand up in front of a diverse crowd and answer questions, and they aren't. Just a juxtoposition.

Oh good gracious. If everyone shows up and they look like a Glenn Beck taping, then yes, they screened the audience. If, on the other hand, they have whites, blacks, browns, yellows, gays, straights, women, men, liberals and conservatives... then maybe, they did exactly what they said. Your complaint was that they were trying to create a diverse audience, and you implied they could do a better job just picking random names.