Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MTV Music Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A Reuters article reports that MTV Networks will be launching a music download service "within the first half of next year".

Apparently, MTV had planned on a streaming/download service in 2000, but due to the rapid decline in the dot-com boom, shelved its plans.

At least one analyst is critical of MTV's delayed entry into this arena: "After iTunes launched in April, MTV should have been like a hawk on a field mouse."

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Bring it MTV. Hey does anyone know how the ITMS is doing lately?

I haven't heard any figures on it. Does Billboard or some other site post their sales?

Tyler

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I have to admit I wondered why they hadn't put their hat in the ring yet. But I figured it was because after watching the channel for a while, I realized that they gave up on MUSIC a long time ago.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
...not another one... o well i'm sure mtv will make a good ammount of money, i mean... who doesn't know what mtv is at least? i've met some people that have never herd of apple computer. ipod, but not apple. well if mtv can make it something better than the itunes music store, then this will be an interesting tech war.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
What does MTV have to do with music? :)

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a music video on MTV, maybe they should do themselves a favor and NOT launch a music service.

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by Mudbug
I have to admit I wondered why they hadn't put their hat in the ring yet. But I figured it was because after watching the channel for a while, I realized that they gave up on MUSIC a long time ago.

I am sorry you had to see it to believe it.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
MTV needs to just go away because by the time they open up about 4-5 music stores will be open and they will just be another dot com not making money.

It's almost like everyone is trying to jump on this since Apple opened the doors to this new niche market.

Also I never even watch MTV anymore or MTV2..because most of it's not even music anymore. I just watch Fuse formely MuchMusic if I want to watch music vids.

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Competition is good, let MTV try the game I say. Apple is bringing in the business and will continue to as long as they grow with the market. Once February hits with the 100 million song givaway I think Apple will secure 99.9% of the legal music trade.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Though I'm a little irritated that so many weak companies are entering the market with (IMO) no chance of bringing innovation, I suppose this will push Apple to develop iTMS more than ever.

Dan

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
The next contender will be...

...and next week, Lil Suzie down the street will open up her own on-line music store.

How many more companies are going to try and flood the market? I'm just glad to see that iTunes has been making some pretty good waves in the media. The only thing worthwhile to have read in Rolling Stones in the past several months was any news about iTunes...the rest has been pure crap, though (which is why I'm canceling my subscription). RS is now just an extension of MTV. Whatever garbage MTV spews out, RS regurgitates, and I've come to realize that MTV barely does anything with music anymore, and on the rare occasion that they do, it tends to be just more junk which I have no interest for.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
The MTV Music Store will soon be offering not only music, but annoying video clips of people screaming "OH MY GOD I LOVE 50 CENT!!!!!!!!!!" along with his music. Eventually, it will all be replaced by crappy non-music content.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Re: The next contender will be...

Originally posted by edenwaith
...and next week, Lil Suzie down the street will open up her own on-line music store.

How many more companies are going to try and flood the market? I'm just glad to see that iTunes has been making some pretty good waves in the media. The only thing worthwhile to have read in Rolling Stones in the past several months was any news about iTunes...the rest has been pure crap, though (which is why I'm canceling my subscription). RS is now just an extension of MTV. Whatever garbage MTV spews out, RS regurgitates, and I've come to realize that MTV barely does anything with music anymore, and on the rare occasion that they do, it tends to be just more junk which I have no interest for.

i completly agree...i cancelled my subscription too. it had just turned into a tabloid with like 3000 pages of celebrity gossip. And if i wanted an album review (rarely), i can always get it online for free

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
And every time someone mentions it, they'll also mention iTunes. How it has some interesting features, postives, negatives... and in the end is just a pale ripoff of iTunes. Plus, will it work with the iPod, the ultimate in cool? Probably not.

Doomed to failure? Probably.

Wonder how BuyMusic is doing lately?

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
This is what bothers me the most....!

Originally posted by solvs
And every time someone mentions it, they'll also mention iTunes. How it has some interesting features, postives, negatives... and in the end is just a pale ripoff of iTunes. Plus, will it work with the iPod, the ultimate in cool? Probably not.

Doomed to failure? Probably.

Wonder how BuyMusic is doing lately?

ALL of them come out with the same exact setup as Apple, and call it innovation.

Example: All the wannabeez will sport a DOWNLOAD service, and a PLAYER that connects/syncs to it.

It's just gonna be a bunch of lemonade stands within a year (full of brain-dead zombies craving fame, and get rich quick).

I bet if Apple decided to leave the market the rest would have virtually the same setup 20yrs down the line.

**If you're not bringing fresh food to the kitchen DO NOT COOK!***

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
not going to all starwars on ya. Crap crap crap crap .... MTV CMTV ITV BBC CHANEL 4 CHANEL TEN A FEW OF THE SO Call entertament chanels that will be releasing Laptops music stores food factories and god knows what else . i still havent got the iTunes store here in Australia let alone the rest of th WORLD!!! DAM LAWS!!! It just shows how invitive apple is how stylish apple is and how easy it is to copy a great idea .

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Talk about the ultimate advertising machine though. They can advertise at cost anytime during their network lineup. MTV may suck, but I still watch Punked and a couple other shows on their even if I don't watch MTV for music. The people watching that station are the exact people just about everyone is looking towards when they thing, "who will buy music online."

Anyone know if Apple has been running commercials for iPod/ITMS on MTV? I don't watch enough to know.

BwanaZulia

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
MTV should partner with Apple. MTV has neither the technical skill nor the channels (besides free advertising, and it is not free cause they give up real paying ad time) to do this right.

Ideas for MTV partnership with iTMS:
- A whole MTV area
- MTV videos, interviews on artist pages
- VJ pick lists
- Daily TRL lists and artists
- MTV branded iPod
- MTV2 requested list

And when Apple gets into the Video iPod and video on demand, there is MTV with lots of episodes of Real World to download to my iPod

BZ

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by BwanaZulia
And when Apple gets into the Video iPod and video on demand, there is MTV with lots of episodes of Real World to download to my iPod

Why did you have to go and say that? As soon as I heard this, I smashed my ipod to pieces in a fit of rage. I only now realized that my ipod can't actually torture me with episodes of the Real World and thus I've destroyed a perfectly fine ipod.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Video on demand would be nice from mtv. its would be cool to be able to watch the top 10 videos whenever you want.

I think apple needs to do more with it's music video section in iTunes. It's not orginized.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Man, and people were jumping on iTunes music store for having too few songs, what will MTV have? First off, only what they want you to hear, after all, the music industry isn't about music anymore, it's about marketing and packaging. That'll leave, what, 100 songs tops? Chritina Skankulara, Britney Skanks, a bunch of p***ed off middle class white boys trying to rap over over distorted guitars about their "angst" of being... uh, spoiled soccer mom kids. And some latest cRap music that glorifies to urban kids all you need is money, money and hos.

In other words, the MTV store is going to suck and champion mediocrity to a whole new level. Sure they'll market to prepubescent clueless types, but that's not all the market thankfully.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Why is a cable channel that doesn't play any music even messing with a music download site? Shouldn't they be filming a new dumb movie aimed towards idiotic teens? Or taping new episodes of that award winning, thought provoking, intellectually stimulating show Jackass?

I think I hate MTV more then I hate M$, at least M$ outwardly broadcasts it's evil ways, MTV masks them behind music videos which they don't even play!!? They had to add another station (MTV2) just to play MUSIC VIDEOS!!!

I'm sorry, but the minute they censored slang from rap videos and blurred every label from every shirt, shoe, jeans, hat, etc yet left in cuss words in rock songs I lost my taste and respect for MTV. I hope they die a slow painful death!

Here's to MUCH MUSIC USA!! err, oh wait, now it's FUSE!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.