Much difference from the 4 to the 4S as it was the 3GS to the 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijohnbro, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ijohnbro macrumors regular

I know the 3GS was a big improvement over the 3G. In fact the 3GS kind of hangs with the 4 pretty well. Is the transaction between the 4 to the 4S as different as the 3GS was to the 4?

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No, the difference isn't that much unless someone is trying to justify their purchase in their head. "Faster camera is totally worth it". WhoTF are you, paparazzi?

Siri is pretty amazing.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, sure, if you're going to list "better camera" as a bigger deal than going from an A4 single-core chip to an A5 dual core chip then you probably won't be impressed.

The rest of the world isn't going to rank things like that, though.

As far as I can tell, the jump from 3G -> 3GS and the jump from 4 -> 4S were the two biggest CPU changes that Apple has made in a single year. So based on that, yeah, I think the OP's assessment is fair.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

It's pretty underwhelming coming from the 4. I got the 4S because I wanted to switch carriers. I dare say a lot of people wouldn't even notice if you replaced their 4 with a 4S.

5. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

In real world usage not much... but on paper it's a huge change. Much bigger than the 3G to 3GS

A4 to A5 is twice the speed. It went from a single core processor to a dual core... though it's been down clocked. Also the gpu is said to be 7 times faster. Most notably for gaming, though again not a big deal for the average user but people who play graphic intensive iphone games will be impressed.

I think a 1080p anti-shake camera is a HUGE change... again it's something that only the A5 could do but the A4 could not.

To the average consumer it's probably not as noticeable but it's a big jump.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

To be honest, right now, the difference is nominal. Maybe when iOS 6 and heavy A5 optimized games release, then you'll be able to tell the difference in speed. But unless you want a new camera or Siri, the upgrade isn't worth it.

7. thenerdal macrumors 65816

No, the iPhone 4 from the 3GS was a HUGE upgrade. The iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S is not a huge upgrade.

8. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Well said