Mueller expressed misgivings to Barr about 4-page letter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 30, 2019.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It's getting messier. Seems since word got out about Mueller's views on Barr's take on the report, he's been willing to talk to congress. Only the current administration's DoJ isn't as willing for Mueller to talk.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rober...ent-of-justice-is-holding-it-up-dems?ref=home

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'm a little confused, I realize the President can claim executive privilege, but I didn't realize it could be extended to everyone in the executive branch?

Congress can't just subpoena Mueller to testify?

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

As I posted, they've tried. The DoJ itself is holding up Mueller from talking to congress.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The DOJ can quash a Congressional subpoena?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The way I understand it, no subpoena has been issued yet. The Judiciary Committee has requested Mueller to come in and testify voluntarily, and Mueller seems willing. The Committee and DOJ have been negotiating over the date, but it appears the DOJ is dragging their feet on setting a date. If the DOJ drags this out long enough, Nadler may issue a subpoena.

And no, the DOJ can't squash a congressional subpoena on their own. They can resist the subpoena and take it to court. But given that Mueller himself is willing to testify, I don't think it'll get that far. I mean, Nadler could just announce a date, and Mueller could just walk in, whether the DOJ agrees or not, and what is the DOJ going to do about that? The worst they can do is fire Mueller, right? ;)

6. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Mr. Muller abdicated the obstruction of justice decision to the DOJ. Therefore Mr. Mueller has no standing to question the AG on his findings or the presentation of such.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Mueller did no such thing. It was Barr who claimed Mueller left the decision to him.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's worse for Barr.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/willia...ronted-him-attorney-general-denied-knowledge/

Attorney General William Barr faces tough new questions about his response to special counsel Robert Mueller's report at a Senate hearing on Wednesday. Judiciary committee members want to know why Mueller told the attorney general he was frustrated with Barr's original summary of the report. In a letter, Mueller told Barr his message to Congress "did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance" of Mueller's views on obstruction of justice.

Barr previously told lawmakers he didn't know if Mueller supported his conclusion on obstruction. CBS News has confirmed that not only did Mueller send Barr a letter complaining about the way Barr described the special counsel's findings, but the two men also spoke on the phone. During that conversation, Mueller asked for additional information to be released, but the attorney general only promised to release the full report as soon as possible, reports CBS News correspondent Paula Reid.

Almost two weeks after his call with Mueller, Barr denied knowing where Mueller stood on his characterization of the investigation's findings.

"Did Bob Mueller support your conclusion?" Sen. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland asked on April 10 before a congressional committee.

"I don't know whether Bob Mueller supported my conclusion," Barr responded.

9. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Really? Can you please show me where Mr. Mueller made a conclusion, one way or the other, regarding obstruction of justice? Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2019 ---
    Whether Mr. Mueller supports the DOJs conclusion or not is irrelevant. Mr. Mueller punted to the DOJ on an obstruction of justice conclusion. The DOJ concluded there was no obstruction of justice. End of story.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Actually, he punted Congress and they are the ones charged under the Constitutional with the ultimate responsibility for checking executive malfeasance. The story does not end with Trump’s partisan AG.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Then it's much ado about nothing.

If Congress wants to hear Mueller, without all the foot dragging, they need to issue a subpoena and be done with it.

12. pl1984 macrumors 68020

A distinction without a purpose. What he did not do is reach a conclusion one way or the other.

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Well, no. Your statement that Barr’s conclusion is the “end of the story” is false.

14. pl1984 macrumors 68020

It is with respect to any disagreement between Mr. Mueller and the DOJ regarding obstruction of justice. If Mr. Mueller believes there was obstruction of justice then he should have stated as much. Since he failed to do so whether he agrees with the DOJs conclusions is irrelevant.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Waiting on Barr to appear before Congress this morning. I suspect he is going to be eaten alive.

Of course, I also believe it's time for Congress to start fining/jailing those who are not complying.

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He has to answer for why he lied when he said he didn't know whether or not Mueller had an opinion on his memo/press conference. We know now, Mueller had told him already.

17. pl1984 macrumors 68020

No we don't. All we have are media reports to that effect. We have no first hand knowledge of what Mr. Mueller wrote to the AG, just an interpretation of it.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

19. LordVic macrumors 603

Mueller sounds like he's getting incredibly frustrated by the handling of the report by Barr. And it sounds like he believes it's done harm to the country by not being honest and truthful.

this letter is probably as far as Mueller can speak on it without getting in trouble by his DoJ bosses.

He really needs to be subpoena so that he can tell his opinion on this and speak truth to power.

20. yaxomoxay, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

1. I want Mueller to testify. Don't really care about Barr at this point.
    2. Did Graham just say the f- word??? :eek::)

21. LordVic macrumors 603

Mueller needs to be allowed to state in his own words what he believes he found or didn't find at this point. Barr needs to be ignored completely as it's clear that he allowed his personal biases (which were known before the report was released) affect his summarization and reporting of what is contained in the report.

it's fairly clear for those of us who read even small portions of the report that what Barr has stated is not in line with what the details of the report are outlining. And it's clear that Barr did this intentionally to try and take away teeth from Mueller's report by getting ahead of it with spin. The Spin has also clearly worked on many (you can see it in this thread) where they outright now refuse to accept the content of the report in favour of Barr's already questionable summary.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Eaten alive?
    These are professional BS’ers.
    I suspect they will ask an array of questions, review the testimony and skew their interpretation of a few answers and concoct he was somehow lying to Congress and request his resignation or forge ahead with charges.

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Yes he did. He also quoted all Strouck and Page's texts so that he could re-litigate Hillary Clinton's emails. WTF?!
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2019 ---
    "Somehow lying?" How can you say that when you've now seen the dated letter from Mueller to Barr as well as the response from Barr that he had no idea what Mueller thought. Really???