Mueller Investigating Ukrainian’s $150,000 Payment for a Trump Appearance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 10, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

The plot thickens and is not just about Russia...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/us/politics/trump-mueller-ukraine-victor-pinchuk.html

Investigators subpoenaed the Trump Organization this year for an array of records about business with foreign nationals. In response, the company handed over documents about a $150,000 donation that the Ukrainian billionaire, Victor Pinchuk, made in September 2015 to the Donald J. Trump Foundation in exchange for a 20-minute appearance by Mr. Trump that month through a video link to a conference in Kiev.

Michael D. Cohen, the president’s personal lawyer whose office and hotel room were raided on Monday in an apparently unrelated case, solicited the donation. The contribution from Mr. Pinchuk, who has sought closer ties for Ukraine to the West, was the largest the foundation received in 2015 from anyone besides Mr. Trump himself.

The subpoena is among signs in recent months that the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, is interested in interactions that Mr. Trump or his associates had with countries beyond Russia, though it is not clear what other payments he is scrutinizing.

--
    The payment from Mr. Pinchuk “is curious because it comes during a campaign and is from a foreigner and looks like an effort to buy influence,” said Marcus S. Owens, a former head of the Internal Revenue Service division that oversees tax-exempt organizations. He called the donation “an unusual amount of money for such a short speech.”

More via link

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Donald doesn't know you are supposed to wait till you are in a seat of power to accept money like Hillary did.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Seriously? This is going to be a thing now? I’m not even going to make the comparison but you guys know what it is. This is laughable.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I've been hearing it's the same entity who gave the Clinton foundation 13 million since 2006.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2018 ---
    I'm expecting raids on that foundation any day now...lol.

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I usually try to avoid whataboutism even if it's appropriate simply because the argument sounds weak. But if there was ever an appropriate time for "what about Hillary" this is definitely it. Are we really supposed to believe that people paid to listen to her talk just because she's so charming and delightful? I don't view this as a deflection to take bad news off Trump, I view it as glaring hypocrisy.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If you thought it was wrong for Hillary, then you should feel the same about Trump. If you don't - I wouldn't be pointing the finger at someone else.

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Keep waiting. You'll be waiting for a long time lol. Also, are you still waiting for another Benghazi investigation?

10. Huntn, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Do you have any documentation that the Clinton’s pocketed money from their Foundation like Trump using his foundation as a personal checkbook?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2018 ---
    Whether Hillary is guilty or not, it’s inexplicable that instead of being used to condemn Trump, Hillary is regularly used as an excuse for Trump’s behavior as if it makes it ok. Btw, although not perfect by any means, I don’t consider Hillary residing down at Trump’s subterranean penthouse.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Again, it’s the hypocrisy. I think it’s politics and with certain things everyone needs to stop pretending when Trump does something it’s the first time it happened in the history of civilization.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

So this is your way of condemning Trump as the despicable human being he is?

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Does that mean it's excusable?

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Apparently it is according to the precedent that has been set. Do I think it is ok for politicians to be paid to give speeches? I personally think it looks bad so I lean toward "no." I know with you guys the hatred of Trump is strong and maybe that affects your vision sometimes, but surely you have to see that there is a huge hypocrisy at play here. Especially huge if that is really the thing they use to get to Trump through his lawyer. I don't know what the statute of limitations would be on this sort of thing but how can they investigate this and not investigate the millions of dollars the Clintons were paid? You guys know there are a lot of people who feel like Hillary got special treatment when it came to questionable practices. Can't you at least acknowledge that this is ammo for those people?

15. SusanK macrumors 68000

She showed up in person to speak. His was a Skype deal.

I'm still almost in disbelief that the candidates of that election were the best either party could cough up.

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

They were the best the oligarchs (you know, the people funding both parties) would accept. Don’t ever confuse either of these jerks as what the people of the USA asked for, that’s not how our elections work.