Mueller testimony commentary thread.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 24, 2019.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I haven't seen a thread for the live and post-game commentary. So here you go!

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Looks like the Dem strategy is to get a lot of yes/no answers. GOP strategy is to trip up Mueller on little things and make him look uncertain. And so far when he’s had to give more than a yes or no answer he sounds quite shaky, like he’s very nervous.

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am pretty sure that he doesn't want to be involved in an impeachment political battle, on either side of the aisle. He coughs the wrong way and we either have Pence as President or Trump 2020 ;).

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I think this has been a disaster for Dems so far.

5. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think it's still a fair game, but I am underwhelmed by the D's performance. They will run with the same quote from the report ("does not exonerate") which is virtually useless. We'll see.
    Representatives should not be yelling this much. I mean the decibel level is tiring.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

It’s just showboating/grandstanding. Rep. Ratcliffe is under consideration for DNI job (Trump wants to get rid of Dan Coats).

7. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The grandstanding in on both sides. But I do think its important to hear from Mueller.

8. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Agreed on both points. Sadly by the early look at how these representatives are behaving I think that we won't get any meaningful answer from Mr. Mueller.

9. cardfan macrumors 68000

Looks like a waste of time but that's par for the course in DC.

10. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

By observation I can say that wasting time is their main task.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2019 ---
    Mueller's answers so far: "I refer to the report", "repeat the question", "let me find the statute", "I decline to answer."

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This format is awful. Members only have 5 minutes and they’re using it to get sound bites for TV. And Mueller sounds very shaky. I do wonder if Mueller is hard of hearing or if he’s making people repeat their ‘questions’ so they lose their bluster and make it harder for the TV sound bite.

12. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Totally agreed. This is insane given the importance.
    Looks like Mueller hasn't read the report :p

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So the MAGA cult is going to shift from Mueller being an evil deep state mastermind directing a witch hunt to a senile old man who can barely put a sentence together.

14. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

So far it's honestly the best strategy. I mean, I respect Mueller, but this testimony - from a citizen's point of view - has been a joke so far. Mueller refers to the report, so the D's are in a bind. At the same time anything the R ask is outside of his purview.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I only watched for 5 minutes, but Mueller is a terrible witness. He mumbles and is far too reticent in his answers. It’s a damn shame, because his report paints a picture of the most seriously corrupt presidential campaign and administration in modern American history, and he doesn’t appear capable of articulately summarizing the key takeaways from the report.

16. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think that the D's mishandled the report's fallout. They should've called him to testify without starting any discussion on impeachment, and without making the whole thing so big. It should've been a lower key event. I can see why Mueller is reticent in his replies, there's too much attention on him and there is no way that he would jeopardize the legitimacy of what he has worked on with so much at stake.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

It seems some GOP members are arguing that because a president can’t be indicted there is no basis for investigating him/her and this report is basically a sham. Not sure how that will play with the public.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Democratic Party hasn’t started impeachment.

19. benshive macrumors regular

Watching things like this reminds me how much of politics is just theater.

20. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

"Discussion on impeachment". That is, their knee jerk reaction after Trump's victory lap.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So far Mueller has been kind of shaky outside of yes/no answers. I think it would be wise for Republicans to tone it down a notch. Let Mueller’s shakiness be the story. The more they yell and berate the more they make Mueller look sympathetic.

22. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I disagree with that line or questioning, but it's a legit question. To my knowledge - and I am ready to be proven wrong - I don't think that a prosecutor or even LEO would investigate something he can't really charge someone for. However, that should be at most one question by one individual, not an entire line of questioning.
    I think that the bottom line is that unless Mueller drops a nuclear bomb by the end of his testimony, nothing will change, and Americans will be increasingly frustrated at the D's.
    My ears are bleeding already and it ain't 9AM yet.

23. benshive macrumors regular

"Did this happen?"
    "I'll refer you to the report."
    "Ok, did this happen?"
    "Ok, did this happen?"
    "Ok, did this happen?"
    "Ok, did this happen?"

What is even the point of this testimony? :p

24. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Jordon is so disingenuous, a one man smoke generator trying hard to undermine the entire basis for any investigation. What an ass hat.

25. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

the point is obtaining a few sound bites for the elections.
    As I said yesterday, there’s no way Mueller is going to say something significant and outside of his report.