Mueller: Trump not a criminal target

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Cool! Now we all like "people familiar with the". I know how in other discussions some of you don't like those people and instead want absolute concrete facts only and they should be discounted. Good to know.

3. juanm, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

From the article you posted, if you bothered reading further than the title:

Prosecutors view someone as a subject when that person has engaged in conduct that is under investigation but there is not sufficient evidence to bring charges.
    The president and some of his allies seized on the special counsel’s words as an assurance that Trump’s risk of criminal jeopardy is low. Other advisers, however, noted that subjects of investigations can easily become indicted targets — and expressed concern that the special prosecutor was baiting Trump into an interview that could put the president in legal peril.

John Dowd, Trump’s top attorney dealing with the Mueller probe, resigned last month amid disputes about strategy and frustration that the president ignored his advice to refuse the special counsel’s request for an interview, according to a Trump friend.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

That's really just carefully worded legal double talk to try and prevent Trumps legal team from advising him to take the 5th too often.

If Muller says he's a target of a criminal investigation, that really changes and limits anything Trump may say.

Make no mistake about it, Muller job is to bring down Trump, to charge him with any crime he can find, any lie he makes under oath, and barring that just bring down the people around Trump to undermine him politically.

Total witch hunt, but then, so were the Bill Clinton whitewater probes, so (R) has it coming.

5. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The left has been parroting the "we don't know what crimes Mueller is sitting on" for at least a year. If he had serious dirt he wouldn't say anything at all .

6. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

"Mueller reiterated the need to interview Trump — both to understand whether he had any corrupt intent to thwart the Russia investigation and to complete this portion of his probe, the people said."

That quotation says it all. It seems the only way he can get Trump is if POTUS admits "intent". If I was Trump's lawyer I'd say HELL NO to an interview. Highly trained and experienced FBI agents will defiantly extract some kind of information to use against him.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

An open ended investigation that can go on and on and on forever that was stared without a single shred of evidence.. A year and a half later the Russia, russia, russia cries have subsided some and now it's onto obstruction of justice. When that falls through they'll be onto another like maybe he stole a stick of gum as a kid and lied about it.

Complete farce and waste of how much money?

If Muller had dirt he would not be making such statement and would just call Trump before a grand jury if Trump refused to talk with him.

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I won't consider it a waste if they come out empty handed on Trump, the entertainment value of Trump using this to bash the left over the head again and again is going to be priceless.

9. 0007776 Suspended

You need to get over your politically motivated hate and go back to see why Mueller was appointed in the first place.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

Sadly, the Russians have to be laughing and patting themselves on the backs daily as this farce is giving the Russians more than they could have ever dreamed of. I believe the Russian goal was to create general discourse in the US. Did they succeed? Check and then some thanks to the left...

It's the gift that keeps on giving the Russians exactly what they wanted, and more than they could have ever hoped for..

11. juanm, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Giving this responsibility to an utterly inexperienced and temperamental man-child potentially subject of blackmail by a hostile autocracy was totally worth it for the entertainment value of bashing libruls.

Gotcha.

12. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Russia, Russia, Russia:
    Trump's team consistently lied about having meetings with Russians. Why?
    When the Trump Tower meeting was discovered, they lied about the purpose of the meeting. Why?
    Trump's team was infested with Russia-connected people who failed to register as foreign agents. Why?
    Trump lied about having any business connections with Russia (while his two dopey sons each admitted the Trump organization gets a lot of funding from Russia). Why?
    Trump has criticized everyone from Rosie O'Donnell to ally heads of state, but never a single bad word about Putin. Why?
    Trump has refused to fully acknowledge Russian interference in the election. Why?

Obstruction:
    Trump fired Comey. Why? Oh wait, we know the answer to that - "the Russia thing."
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2018 ---
    A rather astonishing statement. Do you want Trump to get away with committing a crime? Are you okay with Trump lying under oath?

Mueller is a life-long Republican who has served his country with honor in many different capacities. The attempt by the right to smear him is deplorable.

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Beyond a reasonable doubt, can you prove Trump commited a crime?

Has Trump lied under oath? Can you post a link to backup that claim?

14. raqball macrumors 68000

There never has been any proof and my guess is there never will be but that won't stop the constant drum beating and regurgitation from the like of CNN and MSNBC anchors and commentators. Sadly, some believe everything they hear on those networks.

15. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

This is the shady grey area where Democrats are trying to get him on. They want him to talk with Muller and his team, so he inadvertently incriminates himself on an intentional obstruction charge. I've researched this a bit and as far as I understand talking to authorities can help the suspect in no way, shape or form, period. The smartest thing Trump can do is invoke executive privilege, or the 5th amendment and refuse to be interviewed. Justice Jackson of the US supreme court once said "Any lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect, in no uncertain terms, to make no statement to the police under any circumstances" Also countless law professors, defense lawyers all say the same thing. Keep your mouth shut.

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Wow! :eek:

That was an astonishingly intentional effort to deflect by completely NOT getting what was said.

It was hypothetical.

Use his entire post.

He's asking would you like if it was found because of Mueller's investigation, that 45 committed a crime and/or lied.

He is NOT claiming or stating.

Wow! :eek:

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Oh I agree.. Tripping Trump up on a statement under oath is all they have and will have.

Trump is going to have to talk to him one way or another. Either directly or in front of a grand jury. Personally I think his best bet is directly where the terms can be negotiated and his lawyers can tell him don't answer that if they don't like the question or how it's worded but I am not an attorney so he'd be well severed to follow their advice.

18. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Might as well screw your guys bicycle seats on backwards to prepare here. When Mueller wraps on this without a charge for Trump it's going to be epic.

19. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

If that's the cause He should do exactly what all these folks did. Trump should respond to every question with this answer:

"On the advice of counsel, I invoke my fifth amendment privilege against self-incrimination and respectfully decline to answer your question."

20. mudslag, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Those points have been explained to Ragball and others in this thread multiple times and never have a way to dispute it.

21. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Yes because those people, especially the second one, are such great people and fantastic role models! *Sarcasm*. Seriously, if Trump pleaded the fifth it'd be more telling than if he actually answered the questions. How does it usually turn out for people who plead the fifth in these kinds of situations? Not well. They're usually guilty.

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

No it wouldn't. Why would you say that?

23. raqball macrumors 68000

I agree and I do think he should talk to Mueller. With pre determined and negotiated guidelines. If his lawyers don't like a question or how it's phrased they can advise him to not answer it and move on to the next Q. Happens all the time in depositions..

24. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

What would go wrong, or backfire is he pleaded the 5th on all the questions, asides from his name and stuff like that?

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It all makes for good theater, after all we elected an entertainer and a showmen, so at the very least we deserve to be entertained.