Mueller's leaked 'hit list' may indicate he's treating Trump's team like a 'criminal enterprise'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 5, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.businessinsider.com/muel...trump-may-indicate-criminal-enterprise-2018-3

• A Grand Jury subpoena from special counsel Robert Mueller's team reportedly targets the majority of Donald Trump's senior campaign team, including the president.
    • Axios, a news website, reported that Mueller will subpoena all communications since November 1, 2015, from nine leaders of Trump's campaign.
    • A former CIA agent said the subpoena indicates Mueller is treating Trump's team like a "criminal enterprise."

Some of the investigation seems to focus on wikileaks and when Trump and the team knew about the hacked emails specifically.

In other news - Rex Tillerson hasn't used any of the budget assigned to him from Congress to fight Russia meddling.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/75896...ight-russian-election-meddling-hes-spent-none

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you were investigating this would you not want to talk to the people who ran the campaign? Conclusion seems illogical, and since it's from someone who rage quit their job because Hillary didn't win I'll assume it's just that.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Aren't most of us by now? :p I knew next to nothing about Trump before the presidential race started, and by now, I don't see much difference between how he behaves and the mafia. Except perhaps that the latter appear to be somewhat more intelligent in how they handle things.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I hope Mueller gets to treat Trump as a hostile witness ;)

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh, Trump does the greatest murders in retaliation for crossing him. Drinking your coffee? Boom Trump kills you. Reading the newspaper? Boom Trump kills you.

And he gets away with it.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Wow - that's stereotyping/naive to think the Mafia is all just about killing people. You think that's how the Mafia makes money?

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Give the Mafia credit! The Mafia actually runs legitimate businesses (e.g. Italian restaurants) to cover up their seedy activities. Trump is not even capable of running legit businesses, most are scams like Trump University.

9. samcraig, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Interesting. Many investigations like this can easily take 2-4 years. Were you expecting less?

ETA: It looks like this news (or other news) is making Donny sweat a bit this morning

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 8.35.15 AM.png

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

It won’t. But when its does, it’s looking to be going out with a whimper rather than a thud.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I’m not sure what I was expecting. Has there ever even been an investigation like this? It feels like at this point it isn't about Russian collusion anymore and basically an investigation into everything Trump has ever done. I know many of you are not fans of Trump, but I would think that causes a bit of concern as he is an American citizen. It's like Mueller is a private investigator who was hired to find something, anything on Trump.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Tell that to Gates, Manafort, Flynn and Papadopoulos
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2018 ---
    Clinton Investigation
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/1998/nov/18/clinton.usa

Watergate Investigation
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/complete-watergate-timeline-took-longer-realize

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think that an investigation should be thorough. And if during the investigation, there's a reason to expand the scope because something is discovered, it should be pursued. That's what an investigation is for.

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

If that’s all that comes from this it’ll be even less than a whimper. More like a meow.

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

And if there is more that comes from this - will you acknowledge you were wrong or will you maintain it is/was a witch hunt or that you don't believe the results?

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

It depends on what “more” there is. At this moment eight months later my opinion remains pretty much the same.

Breaking: Trump now under investigation for obstruction

18. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

I agree as I hope it ends sooner rather than later. Just bring up charges. Get the corrupt dude outta there.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they didn't kill they'd have no leverage.
    At that point it's about tieing things up politically for election seasons.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not sure I agree with you. Maybe in the earlier years. But with their wealth and companies they have, they can assert plenty of leverage without physical harm.

For example - you want to open a bar or restaurant in NYC? You don't have to worry about getting killed if you don't want to grease several hands to make it happen - or expedite it. But if you don't - you simply won't ever get your permits, deliveries, etc.

I might be exaggerating. But the point is - the Mafia doesn't have to kill people to have leverage.
    A bit cynical. At that point it could be about uncovering the truth. SHOCKER!

21. 0007776 Suspended

Yep, it will be a whimper when Trump goes down, but bybthat point he will just have been a low level unpaid aid for the Pence campaign.

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Trump's campaign manager is indicted on money laundering and his national security advisor pleads guilty to lying. Both were unregistered foreign agents. A campaign official and former right hand man to the campaign manager pleads guilty to two criminal charges. Trump's foreign policy advisor pleads guilty to lying. His senior advisor can't get a full security clearance due to financial entanglements with foreign countries and multiple failures to account for meetings with foreign nationals (but up to now has been privy to the highest level of classified information). Several key Trump campaign people meet with Russians with the explicit intent to collude and lied about having the meeting and then the purpose of the meeting. Trump refuses to implement Russian sanctions. Some meow.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Here's the thing. He either was involved and/or obstructed or he didn't. Let's just assume the hysterical right is correct and Trump is completely innocent (something I have a hard time even typing - but let's assume). What this then means is that Trump surrounded himself with just about the worse people he could have over and over again.

So what does that say about Trump and his judgement.

There's really no "win" in Trump's column here. Sure it will be spun that way if he's found "innocent" - but again - that doesn't excuse such lapses in judgement.

24. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

There is the "useful idiot" possibility, that Trump was used by the Manaforts and Flynns because he can easily be manipulated by stroking his ego and was too ignorant to know what was going on around him. But as Steve Martin used to say on SNL - Nahhhhhhh

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

A lot of noise over nothing. You forgot to include the Logan Act.