Mugabe's Zanu-PF loses majority (formerly - Could Mugabe be about to step down?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scotthayes, Apr 1, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

This could be the biggest and best news in Zimbabwe for nearly 30 years

BBC News

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The amazing thing for me, all these years, is how muted the criticism of him has been. He's been nutzoidal as a mouse in heat from the git-go, yet people have hardly been seriously critical in the world press.

And the UN hasn't done jack squat...

'Rat

3. Queso macrumors G4

I've been following these events quite closely. I wouldn't put money on any outcome right now. The Police and Army in Zim have even been rumoured to be stating that they will only take orders from Zanu-PF whatever the election results.

I'm wondering whether South Africa will attempt to impose a coalition government between the MDC and Zanu-PF on the country. Although it's possibly the worst outcome in terms of needed reform, it may prevent the bloodshed that is inevitable with any other course of action.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wow.

Its worth noting that before about 1995 Mugabe was a well liked and competent leader.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

What's that saying about power corrupts?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually everything went bad as early as 1983, when ZANU-PF massacred 20,000 Ndebele civilians and Joshua Nkomo fled the country.

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

According to the BBC the opposition party has the majority of seats.

BBC Article

I'm not sure what will happen next however, the ruling party may not be willing to just give up all their power, after all it has been pretty much a dictatorship for so long.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

11. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Cheers for the thread title change :)

If it's true that MDC have won over 50% then from what I've read there is no need for a run off.

12. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Not so fast... Link

I don't know why this isn't front page news. Mugabe has been a cause of many serious problems in Africa over the last few decades. Yet, here in the United States, everyone is more worried about whether a rich black man or a rich white woman, and I only know of one other person in this thread who's from the United States.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually it seems criticism from Britain and the US has been counter-productive as we are "colonial", so many people don't believe the UN criticising him would help.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Eraserhead, our criticisms seem to have been rather muted. Every news article I've read over these past years has been very mild in the phrasing about Mugabe's actions. Very few editorials in the mainstream press about his egregious abuses.

Apparently Mugabe and his people intend to remain in control. This morning's news had a squib about them getting arms shipments from China.

'Rat

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Interesting that the American press has been muted. However ours has been very vocal on the issue.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Attempting to get arms, but hopefully they are unlikely to receive them. The President of South Africa may kiss all four of Mugabe's cheeks, but dock workers in Durban are refusing to unload the shipments off the boats they came in on. The dock workers in Natal tend to be Inkatha supporters rather than ANC. With any luck Buthelezi will ensure they never reach land. Buthi is no fan of Mugabe, referring to him in the past as "the fool of the African family".

A similar situation will arise if the boats attempt to unload in Maputo.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Nice to have a reporter "on the ground", as it were. :cool:

18. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I would like to think that the dock workers will be able to hold out but they are on legally shaky ground as their refusal could be taken as an illegal strike. Uncle Thabo obviously has a vested interest in keeping mad Bob in power and he will use whatever means at his disposal to achieve that. Zimbabwe's best hope may be in the unlikely shape of Jacob Zuma. Morgan Tsvangarai has already started the ball rolling in asking for Thabo to be removed from the negotiations and if the international community were to speak directly with Zuma and Mwanawasa (of Zambia) this may be the defacto outcome.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, they don't need "unloading", so that's a way to import gun platforms without any hassles. :eek:

21. Queso macrumors G4

They do however need an airstrip to take off from and to cross at least one other country's airspace to reach landlocked Zimbabwe. Without Mozambique or South Africa co-operating they will never reach Harare.

22. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Well the High Court in Durban refused permission for the cargo to be unloaded and the Chinese vessel is back at sea. Next destination, possibly Angola where it may be possible to offload the cargo but I doubt that Botswana will allow transit to Zimbabwe.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What we need is a "Jack Ruby" to step up, and take one for the team. :mad:

24. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Too right. I'm constantly amazed that dictators aren't taken out in this fashion. I guess that being able to control a whole country means that you are also able to control your close circle of staff.