Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
hi

i am new to mac's and getting to now my powerbook very well

anyway i would like to know wether like on a pc i can run more than one os one my pb

memory is plenty 1gb i know with a pc u select which sysytem u want to start up from at start-up can u do this with a mac cause i wanna install panther but want to keep os 10.1 because it has a few apps i can't be bothered to back up

thank u

mac users

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Yes Macs can Multi-Boot, I have a multi boot mac myself. All you have to do is install the different OS's on separate Hard disks/partitions.

When you hold down the 'option' key when you turn on the computer it gives you the choice of which OS you want to boot from.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: mulitiple os boot-up

Originally posted by Gokhan
i wanna install panther but want to keep os 10.1 because it has a few apps i can't be bothered to back up

If you put the Panther CD/DVD in and choose to Upgrade, you'll keep all your existing apps, and therefore won't need to dual boot or partition your drive.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: mulitiple os boot-up

Originally posted by Nermal
If you put the Panther CD/DVD in and choose to Upgrade, you'll keep all your existing apps, and therefore won't need to dual boot or partition your drive.

Don't choose upgrade especially from such and old system. It will cause all sorts of problems. Choose Archive and install and also make sure deselect the option to copy over prefs. This will install the new system and put the old system and your user account in a folder title previous system. None of the data is lost and you can just copy over what you want and run it a while that way prior to deciding to delete the old system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.