Multi-Monitor, DP1.2 multi-stream transport on rMBP 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zigzag801, Sep 3, 2015.

1. zigzag801 macrumors member

I recently just bought this monitor:

Dell Ultrasharp U2415

And found that the DP 1.2 allows for multiple monitor's to be daisy chained with display port. Then I believe I found a page on Apple's site that says my laptop can support it

My current setup is
    • Retina Macbook Pro 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
    • Thunderbolt Ports: Two Thunderbolt Monitors
    • HDMI: U2415

I am wondering if I can replace one of my thunderbolts with another U2415 monitor, daisy chain it with the existing U2415, get a DP 1.2 to mini-displayport cable, and have three monitors that way? Would it also be possible to get a 4th monitor and connect that to the HDMI cable?

Essentially my future setup could be:
    • One Thunderbolt Monitor connected to Thunderbolt Port
    • Three U2415
      • One connected to Thunderbolt Port
      • One daisy chained by DP 1.2 from the monitor connected to the Thunderbolt Port
      • One connected to HDMI

If that all works I could potentially connect another 2 to the left over thunderbolt port and not have the thunderbolt monitor but that's getting to be a little much. But I also believe that the rMBP has a firmware limitation on the amount of display ports that can be connected to it at one time.

Just for some extra info, I did try this setup and it did not work, one of the monitors never turned on but that might me a limitation of the Thunderbolt monitors + rMBP?:
    • One Thunderbolt monitor daisy chained through another Thunderbolt monitor. One of those was connected to my rMBP
    • U2415 - Connected from Display Port to Mini-display port
    • U2412M - Connected through HDMI

2. auhlixer macrumors regular

It usually means it can be the last link in a daisy chain.