Multi-Monitor User/Laptop Closed: 2012 cMBP vs. rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheCHIMP.net, Jul 31, 2012.

1. TheCHIMP.net macrumors newbie

Bottom Line: Taking screen and storage out of the equation, and focusing on
    1. performance and
    2. price,

am I dumb to buy the rMBP to leave it closed all day?

##

My Usage: L.A. based savvy windows enthusiast ending a 13 year mac hiatus. Nearly completely reformed mac-basher. Ipad/Iphone seduced me.

Virgin: Coming back to mac as my primary workstation as my career is now content production for an online news outlet. Have tons of apps open at once and do video and photo editing, while checking competitors sites, email, and news feeds.

Special Concern: I work with a multi-monitor setup, 3 external HP monitors. My current laptop sits on my desk closed for weeks on end not moving, just exporting via a Matrox box to the multi-monitor setup.

##

Doesn’t Matter to Me:
    Retina Display – care a lot more about having tons of screen real estate. Lid will be closed all day.
    Storage: Not an issue at all. Have 2TB NAS already.
    Optical Drive <-- dead tech
    Paying more for last gen tech vs. less for newer tech

Matters to Me:
    Ethernet connection – my wifi stinks (+1 cMBP)

Fast – Attracted to SSD performance increase in both models. Difference between “flash” vs. “SSD”?  just a cosmetic branding thing? I’ve seen AnandTech’s insistence on Samsung SSD only. Do I get to choose that in the model?

Max Ram – want the most RAM possible for the config. Even briefly flirted with Mac Pro before realizing I was being dumb.

Resoulution: Will I even have a resolution option for 3x external monitors (not mirrored)

##

Bottom Line: Taking the screen and storage out of the equation, for (1) performance and (2) price, am I dumb to buy the rMBP to leave it closed all day?

Thanks for looking

TC in West Hollywood

2. NeonBible macrumors member

Go for the cMBP since it has the similar CPU and GPU as the rMBP – also the same power and performance. And if you care about ethernet and don't want to use an adapter, then you shouldn't doubt about a cMBP because the rMBP doesn't have an ethernet port.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

upon seeing the retina you might change your mind! My plan was to clamshell at home and screen on the go. Those plans changed as soon as I started using it! The screen is so good I opted to use it as my main screen and lose one of my secondary displays (limited deskspace) and use my 24" as a secondary display.

Honestly tho, even if you do clamshell it I would say its still worth going with the rMBP....the price is great for what is in it (about $500 less than a comparable cMBP) and the SSD/ram/graphics card is FAST!! I'm sure the cMBP is just as fast if you add an ssd...but this thing SMOKES! I am not at all displeased.