Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I guess it will need a ton of inputs, so the 23" Apple display is out (as it has neither HDMI nor component)

Any suggestions?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Yeah the Dell 24" will give you component, composite, S-Video, DVI, and VGA inputs, plus it has PiP and PbP, which is nice.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Just wait for slickdeals or xpbargains to provide a coupon... 2405's have been had for as low as $725ish in the past. When the 2407's come out (I don't think they're out yet?), you could probably land a 2405 for $650 or so.

EDIT: And by "gaming" do you mean gaming on a PC or Mac? if so, the 24" dell has a much higher resolution.

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
stonyc said:
EDIT: And by "gaming" do you mean gaming on a PC or Mac? if so, the 24" dell has a much higher resolution.

Wanted it for:

a) eventual Mac gaming (when Apple decides to put a video card in the Mini)
b) Xbox 360 / Revolution
c) HD television monitor

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
shortyjj said:
Wanted it for:

a) eventual Mac gaming (when Apple decides to put a video card in the Mini)
b) Xbox 360 / Revolution
c) HD television monitor
One of the main differences between the 2405 and the 2407 is the 2407 will support HDCP (the 2405, HDMI).

I could be wrong, but I think the 2407 is to release sometime in May... not sure about that though. Basically, it seems to come down to whether you're going to need/want HDCP support. If no, then I would just recommend that you wait until May-ish... once the 2407's release, you should be able to get a 2405 for a good price.

If you're willing to take a chance on a Dell refurb, I think I saw some 2405's on there for $668 or so.

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Still a little confused, since I saw something in another post about concerns over the "native" resolution. Will the Dell have any problem with a 1080i signal?

Amazingly, my 3-year-old 55" Mitsu HDTV is already obsolete because it has no digital inputs at all, and probably will not even be able to do HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, nor can it be used as a monitor.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
shortyjj said:
Still a little confused, since I saw something in another post about concerns over the "native" resolution. Will the Dell have any problem with a 1080i signal?

Amazingly, my 3-year-old 55" Mitsu HDTV is already obsolete because it has no digital inputs at all, and probably will not even be able to do HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, nor can it be used as a monitor.
Try the links in this post. Specifically the second link... you might find your answer there.

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
stonyc said:
Try the links in this post. Specifically the second link... you might find your answer there.

TY so much, looks like it would work for any application I can think up.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Another vote for the Dell 24"

Mine works great for a Mac display, HDTV, and XBOX 360 Monitor. Also... I think someone mentioned that the 2405FPW has HDMI inputs. Just to clarify, it does NOT. It uses a Component input for HD signals instead. However thats what the XBOX 360 uses anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
dell

shortyjj said:
I guess it will need a ton of inputs, so the 23" Apple display is out (as it has neither HDMI nor component)

Any suggestions?

normally i wouldnt say this.....but dell. just because of the variety of inputs you would get with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.