Multi-tasking feature, battery drain??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheiPhoneChick, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I wanted to know if the multi-tasking feature on the iphone 4s drains the battery?

You know when you double tap the home button and it brings up the apps that are currently running, are those apps really still running in the background or are they in limbo until you access them again?

I have been really OCD about shutting down all the apps because of fear of it draining my battery, but not sure I really need to. Thanks!

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

it does drain the battery after awhile with a lot of apps open. I usually have 20 ish open and close them 3 times a day, its a good habit

3. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Ok thanks!

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Open apps are suspended but stored in RAM, which uses more energy the fuller it is. Closing apps frees up RAM so your phone will be more responsive and uses less battery, however this is probably the lowest impact on battery life.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

From reading many threads on these forums, I would say prepare to hear both yes and no. This has been a highly debatable topic of late here, especially with the recent iOS 5 and/or 4S battery issues.

6. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

ok thanks for that!

7. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I am in the "No" camp. With the way Apple designed multitasking in iOS, only a few certain types of apps can actually run in the background (streaming music, navigation, etc). You may notice a slight amount of slowdown at times and need to close out some apps occasionally (about once a month for me, if that) but I don't think there would be any noticeable change in battery life.

8. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I guess to find out for sure I will need to try it out and see if there is a noticeable change for me.