Multi-Touch Gestures on iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

In the Keynote speech, it was mentioned that multi-touch gestures can be used to swipe between apps. Is this feature available on the beta?

If so, any other multi-touch gestures available?

**EDIT**
    Keynote Speech @ time 1:17:12
    Forstall mentions cool new multi-touch gesturing so you can "flip through your apps"

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I believe that feature is only working on the iPad. Just like the Tabs in Safari.

3. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

They specifically said "swipe between apps" Tab browsing uses 1 finger. Anyone confirm whether this is on the beta?

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm running iOS5 on my iPhone4 and there is no setting for gestures.

5. dspalton macrumors 6502a

Could not get it running on the iPhone but can on the iPad 2

6. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

They are probably the best part of iOS 5, but I think they're iPad only. Yes, you use 4 fingers to swipe between apps in the multitasking tray.
    The gestures are really cool.

Too bad no swiping between tabs on Safari, that and back/forward gestures would be the best.

7. darka55a551n2 macrumors newbie

It is for iPad only. Most of the gestures require like 4-5 fingers, so they made it iPad only to utilize the large screen. I guess they just figured it would be too awkward, or uncomfortable for users running smaller screens :/

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm sure they announced in the Keynote that it was an iPad only feature, but hopefully there will be a simple workaround once jailbroken to enable it on other devices

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

11. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

They work great on the iPad. I loved them when the put it in the 4 beta and glad it's back. I still think they could figure a way to implement them into the iPhone/iPod though. A 2 finger swipe (opposed to 4 on the iPad) would be great to switch between apps on a smaller screen IMO.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Ive heard it only works for iPad 2, is this true?

13. shandyman Suspended

yup

14. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

That is a bunch of ********.

Honestly, this is like android level fragmentation here. Different stages of the beta better start allowing this on iPad 1.

15. shandyman Suspended

well gestures seemed buggy when i had iPad 1, so that's probably why. thisfragmentation is nothing new in iOS, it's like the difference between iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs and multitasking

16. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm holding my iPhone in my hand (well, not at this very instance), and I can easily swipe across the screen with 3 fingers. It would be a really cool feature to swipe between apps this way. Multi-tasking would be made way easier than double tapping the home button.

17. shandyman Suspended

there's lots of apps that use 3 fingers gestures, that's probably why it's 4-5 fingers for iPad and why the iPhone cannot do it.

18. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, but at least there was two product cycles in between. Multitasking released with the IP4, so if i had iPad 1 when iPad 3 was released, I would understand, but it's the difference of 1 device. It's a bit ridiculous to me. I mean the iPad 1 isn't amazing hardware wise, but it honestly can't be THAT hard to implement some simple gestures.

19. shandyman Suspended

there were OS differences between the 3G and 3GS when iOS 3 came out, maybe picking multitasking was a bad example, but this is no different and there was no clear reason why the newer one could do what the older couldn't. video recording is 1 example off the top of my head.

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I often use my phone with one hand... so I hope it doesn't get too crazy with the gestures on the iPhone.

21. u5214921 macrumors newbie

does jailbreaking the iPhone 4 running iOS 5 will be able to download any tweaks from cydia for Multi Touch Gestures?

22. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Yup. They still work no problem.

23. u5214921 macrumors newbie

which app is it for the Multi Gesture for iPhone running on iOS5? Please let me know :)

24. Meditec macrumors newbie

There are 3 gestures that I know of on the iPad2.

1) Minimize app to return to home screen - While in an app, place all 5 fingers on the screen ( spread apart ), then draw them together.

2) Swipe between active apps - while in an app, place 4 - 5 fingers on the screen and swipe them to the left or right ( depending ).

3) Show active apps (system tray ) - Place all 4 - 5 fingers on screen and swipe up ( do not have to be in an app).

Confirmed working but getting all fingers to register can be tricky.

Enjoy!

----------

From what I have read (correct me if I'm wrong), "multi-touch" works on the iPhone, but "gestures" are only for the iPad. Likely due to the screen size as stated above.