Multicoloured iPhone Range

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JesalTV, Sep 3, 2012.

1. JesalTV Guest

What are the chances that Apple will give the new range of iPhones a variety of colour options? Official ones, maybe 5 or 6 to start with.

The metal backing lends itself to this, they've done it with the iPods, and it is so "Apple" that it would work perfectly. The only problem I foresee is the front fascia.

The new Nokia range looks very good in a range of colours, it makes perfect sense for Apple to step up now...

Black, white, pink, blue, red, yellow. Imagine that.

2. ARSC macrumors 6502

3. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Personally, for iPhone to come in that many colour, it feels... "cheap". I like how they only give us 2 options. Black and/or white. :D

4. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I would like it if they made it blue like the Samsung Galaxy S3. :)

5. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

And?

6. JesalTV thread starter Guest

7. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

I meant for people who chose to buy both colours :D

8. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Ahh I see.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No.

Creates too many options for consumers, tightens supply chain, ect.

They got away with it with the smaller iPods because they are far cheaper.

10. kannesss macrumors 6502a

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think you will ever see Apple do colors for the iPhone other than black and white.

12. JesalTV thread starter Guest

Too many colour options is not a problem for consumers, otherwise they would never have created a white one. Too many 3rd party cases is more of a selection issue for consumers.

Supply chain would be tightened, but it's been 5 years now. The metal backing would make this much easier, and surely 50% production black with 10% per other colours would give choice, rarity and control over supply chains.

Personally, I doubt it will happen now - but it wouldn't surprise me if it did, now or next year. It just makes sense, even from a fragility issue.

13. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

New iPhone Prototype

If the phone ends up looking like the one in this video then it'd be a perfect candidate for different colors.

He says it's all an matte aluminum material. It looks like it would feel amazing and it certainly looks better than the two tone we've been seeing.

14. JesalTV thread starter Guest

This.

I think that was a prototype but yeah, whilst people might think that is "boring" or "plain" - imagine it in 5 different colours.

A unibody aluminium in black, white, red, green, etc - how hard can that be? My hunch is that this will happen now or next year, the switch to metal casing just makes too much sense.

I would love a red one, and generally just an iPhone where I didn't have to get a case in order to protect it (I'm very precious about scratches!).

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Agree. It looks like a great design. This new video has me thrilled about the next iPhone.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple isn't about choice, it's about exclusivity. You don't see Rolex watches in 10 different colors for a reason. You got gold and silver. Same with iPhone: White and black. It can be argued that offering colors cheapens the brand, though I would love to see a myriad of anodized shades. Again, look at Mini-Mag flash lights. Things of beauty.

----------

If that solid back is all aluminum, how's the signal getting out of it?

17. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

And Slim just left the building.

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It is a problem, in the eyes of Apple. Apple has never taken the stance of "options" for consumers.

Apple doesn't ask consumers what they want, it gives them what they think they want. Seems like they've been spot on so far.

Giving consumers the option to switch back-plates is a gimmick, that won't happen. They won't sell different colors either, other than black or white. I COULD see a gray or gunmetal because it's a traditionally professional shade as well.

iPods are toys, iPhones are tools. Personally, I don't think we'll ever see colors, especially six years into the iPhone game. But that's just my opinion!

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I like that the iPhone comes in two colors, and both look like they were designed to look the way they do. I would be afraid a red or green iPhone would be too out of place.

20. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

So the prediction for the coloured iPhones didn't come true.

But it DID for the iPod Touch range.

I personally think they may go for colours with the iPad Mini. What do you think?

21. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If Apple starts selling color phones, why they would look just like the competition <gasp>.

22. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think they should introduce a Product Red version, with a white front and a red anodised outside. Everyone wins - a modern, clean addition to the iPhone line, money goes to charity, and the consumer gets another choice.

I don't see Apple going the full hog with blue, yellow, pink etc.

24. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

25. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul