Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I have a dual 533 with a GeForce 2MX. It supports multiple monitors, but the computer will only allow me to mirror. I want to be able to use an extended desktop, but the only way to change it from mirroring is to use the appearance tab within the monitors system pref. Unfortunately, this tab doesn't exist in my system prefs and according to the knowledge base this means that my computer doesn't support extended desktop.

So I was wondering if anyone would have some explanation, technical or otherwise, as to why my computer doesn't support this. From looking around on the internet it seems like people with older model G4s than mine are able to run extended without replacing the video card. Also, it seems to me that my system is certainly sufficient for such a task.

Anyone know what the deal is or what I'm doing wrong (which is a good possibility).

Thanks,
Matt

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think the GF2MX it the same card as in the new iMacs, which also only supports mirroring, I presume it's simply down to the fact that they feel the card could not give decent performence running 2 screens at once, so they simply don't allow it.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
when i purchased my dual 800, i could get the gf2mx with 32 mb video ram. or with 64 mb... which would support two monitors.

i assume you got the 64 mb one, right?

if not, you are out of luck...

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
darn

Yeah, I think you guys are right, my video card only supports mirroring (it's only 32 megs). Oh well. I guess my life will move on despite my shattered dreams of two monitors. Thanks for the help though.

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion for a video card that would support this, would be compatible with my computer and wouldn't cost me my left testicle.

Matt

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: darn

Originally posted by mkubal

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion for a video card that would support this, would be compatible with my computer and wouldn't cost me my left testicle.
The GF4MX 64Mb in the new QuickSilvers (what i am using for dual screens) works really well, and I would think it's priced reasonably too. (1 x ADC 1 x VGA, ADC can be converted with Dr. Bott adapter down to VGA or DVI).

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
depends what types of monitors you want to use...

also, if you don't mind giving up a pci slot

when i had the gf2mx, i tossed ina cheap ati rage or something like that to power my second monitor. got it for about 70 bucks on ebay

otherwise you can get an ati 8500, or just wait til the new ati (9700) comes out. and the gf4ti is expensive as hell....

also. do you have adc connections or vga or dvi? or what....

if you have any adc, the nvidia is best in that you don't have to get the dvi-adc adapter which is like 150 bucks on its own...

give a bit more info and myself or other smarter people here can give better recommendations... also, doyou mind giving up a pci slot? do you play lots of games? etc..

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I'm really not sure

I stil have all my PCI slots open. I really haven't had any reason to put anything in there so I guess that means I could spare one. I'm not sure what the connector on my Apple display is. I'm pretty sure it's first gen, but if I had to venture a guess I'd go with ADC (I could be completely wrong there). The other monitor I want to use has whatever standard connector that is used for PC monitors.

I have a few games I play, but only rarely, so gaming is not big on the list. I really just want some extra space to move things around. I'm thinking I definitley won't be needing 80 fps for this but I do want it to be decent.

My big deal is making sure it's compatible and won't cause me much hassle to get it running and keep it that way.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Matt

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
here are your options...

upgrade to a card that supports 2 monitors.

put in a relatively cheap, older card to support a second monitor.

for option one, if you get an nvidia (gf4mx, or gf4ti, or gf3), then your adc display will work with it. even if it's dvi, you can adc->dvi for like 20 bucks i think. and then use the second slot to the second monitor. the gf4mx isn't worth getting in my opinion, as it's barely an upgrade from the 2mx.... the ti is expensive as crap. and the gf3 is hard to find (i couldn't find it separate from with a computer)...

OR, you could get an ati... which most people tend to lean towards.. problem there is that no matter which one you'd get (8500, 9000, or wait til the 9700), you'd have to get 150 dollar dvi-> adc adapter which just sucks....

finally, you could just get a cheap rage 128 or something for 60 bucks or less on ebay. toss that in your pci slot, and you're good to go.....

i'd look at the first option (upgrade), as longer lasting, but more expensive. buying a second, cheaper card is more of a stop gap measure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.