Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

multiple phone numbers for emergencies with Two-factor authentication

rb24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
So as not to be locked out if I lose my iPhone + SIM when travelling was thinking of adding other phone numbers for the Two-factor authentication process. How does that work though? When you try to login (on your NEW iphone /SIM) with your username/password will messages be sent simultaneously to BOTH phone numbers or do you get to choose which one to use? (Am concerned about unnecessarily disturbing any friend(s) whose numbers might have given.)

Also, supposing you then have to call your friend to get the code that they will have just received: how much time do you have to do this in before the code "expires"?

BrianBaughn

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Locked out of the iCloud website? If you don't have a second device with you (Mac/iPhone/iPad) that's connected to the iCloud account (or never did) you'll get the option to pick the phone number for the 2F text. It won't send it to more than one number at a time.

Not sure about the expiration time.

Comment

rb24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Locked out of the iCloud website? If you don't have a second device with you (Mac/iPhone/iPad) that's connected to the iCloud account (or never did) you'll get the option to pick the phone number for the 2F text. It won't send it to more than one number at a time.

Not sure about the expiration time.
Cool.

Then how do they show the numbers in the list of numbers to show from? Meaning if they show the whole number the a "bad guy" could go track down the person in question to receive the text? But if they don't show the whole number.... Seems like they should ask one to associate a "friendly and cryptic name" with each number for the purposes of the list?

Comment

BrianBaughn

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Cool.

Then how do they show the numbers in the list of numbers to show from? Meaning if they show the whole number the a "bad guy" could go track down the person in question to receive the text? But if they don't show the whole number.... Seems like they should ask one to associate a "friendly and cryptic name" with each number for the purposes of the list?

They show something like xxx-xxx-xx55 for the numbers, which for me sucks because the two I use have the same last two digits!

Comment

rb24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Thanks. I'm going to set this up then.

Apple might consider launching a paid expedited account recovery option. So you can recover your account by providing various forms of ID to their operators IMMEDIATELY by paying eg 25 bucks (to cover staffing costs etc). It's definitely not cool that someone might have to wait days (or even weeks like a friend of mine) to access their data. I mean it's not like I remember passwords for online banking and instead count on Apple as an intermediary to get me in.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.