Multiple Reports X won’t ship until DEC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steelo3232, Oct 5, 2017.

1. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Without your source, I would say this title is clickbait.

2. steelo3232 thread starter macrumors regular

3. JPack macrumors 65816

JPack

Yield is more complicated than that. In reality, most units can be reworked, not thrown away.

The 10% being quoted is probably accurate but is likely a first pass yield rate. If the camera system passes calibration before assembly and then requires re-calibration after assembly, then that's considered a fail. But it doesn't mean the entire phone thrown away. It can be re-calibrated by software.

The problem could be due to one component, several components, or several assembly stations. It's been reported previously iPhone assembly involves about 100 stations per line.

Low yield could mean Apple needs to slow down the assembly process which is costly in terms of labor.

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

5. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

It actually sounds like this is a bunch of media outlets picking up on a story from a small media outlet.

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

For what the article is worth, if this true, then I move to another phone. What is the intent of this thread? "Sorry, you'll have to wait or go find something else" motive?

7. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Yeah, that's why I kinda tried to clarify it a little. I didn't mean that they are just going to scrap the entire phone because one tiny piece isn't up to par, but it is just shocking to me that off the assembly line, 9/10 aren't good enough to ship to customers. I just can't grasp that high of a failure rate in the first run.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    I can't say I'd blame you. I have a bunch of Apple products. I tried the S8 and Note 8 and loved them. I'm making myself wait for the X, but at this point if it got pushed back to Dec. or Jan. then it starts creeping closer to the S9 launch which is rumored to be as early as Jan. This also really throws off peoples upgrade cycle as well.

8. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Pay the extra 6 months and upgrade.

9. Keenanryan14 macrumors member

Keenanryan14

Just don’t think Apple would of announced the November date if it had any doubts that the iPhones would be ready to ship ....Many analysts have predicted that there will be 12 million ready for the launch weekend and I think that is more likely the case as if Apple did delay the phone it would destroy there stock price and there holiday quarter.... no way they have messed up this bad to have a 90% failure rate they wouldn’t even begin mass production if they thought it was that hard to make....

10. aetherpeak Suspended

No matter how much smoke you puff on this, it just isn't going to make a fire. Might as well be claiming the Russians are behind delays that won't actually happen.

11. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

12. NovemberWhiskey, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

What is with you guys? Can Apple honestly do no wrong in your eyes?

They’ve already botched this release with the delay to Nov 3, and you can’t believe that it may happen again?

I am not saying reports necessarily mean it’s trur. But your automatic denial is preposterous.

For me, anything is possible. But most likely scenario is that Apple is suffering production issues, and will release a very few on Nov 3, with most being delayed.

No one will really know the difference since this was expected for many orders anyways.

13. Joker45 macrumors regular

Joker45

They have been saying a 10% yield on the iPhone X since at least August probably before that. You’re gonna tell me that in 2 full months they haven’t been able to increase the production rate? If that is true, that they haven’t been able to increase it, then heads should roll. This would be one of the biggest production blinders of all time if that’s the case.

14. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

15. Wags macrumors 6502

That's why released ip8. Apple could no way go all in on the X.

16. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Multiple investor and trading gurus lost their shirts today because Apple was UP. Another one bets against Apple and bites the dust, Apple is an unstoppable juggernaut with thousands of haters left penniless in its wake.

Tim Cook said iPhone X WILL ship on Nov 3 so it WILL happen. I hope you lost millions today spreading false rumors, I have emailed your post to the SEC.

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lol. Can we see that email?

18. steelo3232 thread starter macrumors regular

LMAO not sure how a post from a financial website that is widely available on the internet, posted to a forum warrants an email to KY or Alabama..... Cal and Sabban appreciate it!!!

19. Faitt macrumors member

November 3rd is the release date. It wasn’t delayed to that date.

20. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Securities fraud is no laughing matter, which is exactly what you committed.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Apple has done lots of things wrong in my eyes. What company hasn’t? But the Nov 3rd release date was never a “botch” or a delay. If you assumed that the X was coming out in September (and many, if not most of us did) that was our mistake. Apple never promised or suggested any launch date for the X except Nov 3rd. If you believe this was a fall back date and not their original plan, that’s 100% speculative. It’s at least as likely that a staggered release was always the plan so as to not overshadow the 8 and 8 Plus even more.

While anything is indeed possible, the likelihood of them announcing a release date for one of their biggest launches ever just a handful of weeks in advance, without being sure if they could meet their own self imposed deadline is not the kind of thing that a company does when many millions of shareholder dollars are on the line. If there was doubt, they would have given a vague “coming soon” type announcement and then announced something specific once they knew they could deliver.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Let’s get real here, the guy posted a rumour on a rumour site. It’s not that big a deal. Anyone who went out and sold all their Apple stock over it is not savvy enough to keep their money long anyway.

22. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lollllllllllllll

Please show us the email? Who did you even email?

23. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

His post is an outright lie, he made up a rumor and posted it with the intent to profit from AAPL stock price collapse. If he was short AAPL stock then he's going to be in big trouble.

https://denebleo.sec.gov/TCRExternal/disclaimer.xhtml

24. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

They blew it with this fake news release with the 10% yield rate. Yeah, maybe in prototype stage that was the case, but not full production. They may have had some fake credibility if they had claimed maybe a 50-60% rate. Someone got too greedy, salivating over a temporary downturn of the stock.

25. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Cool. Can we see the email? It's unfair to give a law school intern a laugh and not share with the rest of the community.