Multiple Trump picks to replace Mike Flynn turn the offer down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, Trump's horrible week sure isn't getting any better. Retired Navy Vice Admiral Robert Harward has turned down Trump's offer to replace Mike Flynn as National Security Advisor.

Or in other words:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...k-to-replace-mike-flynn-turns-the-offer-down/

So much for that well oiled machine with no chaos that Trump claimed earlier today.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Jake Tapper and a Friend of Haward....haha!

My understanding is that he wanted to bring in his own team but Trump already told KT McFarland they could stay. I'm sure more will come out on the matter but maybe not given he will just pick another off his list.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes I heard that too but the original story I was trying to source had a paywall when I went back. The Blaze's story was more fun anyway. :D

And what you say about the list maybe true, but each time you move down the list, that's one more person removed from 1st choice. If third choice was so great, they would have been first choice right?

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Too bad. I was thinking Harward could really calm the place down. I can't hardly blame him if he didn't want to try it, though. That White House looks to be a place where burnout will get a lot of play. Harward's already had an adventurous life in combat zones. Who needs time served in yet another version of some circle of hell?

5. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Military combat zones was probably a cakewalk for a tough guy like Harward. And he's smart enough to know that going into the Trump White House chaos-warzone will truly get him killed (or at the very least, it will destroy his career).

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The BBC is reporting that Patraeus is on that list.

The guy is still on probation for doing something similar. :eek:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39000389

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

yes/no. there's a lot of good talent out there. sometimes I think he's likely better off going with his second pick anyway. I like his shoot from the hip quick decisions but truth is sometimes that second mouse is the one that gets the cheese.

8. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, well in this case he is on his 3rd Mouse....and counting.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good thing they figured it all out before hand... because otherwise that would be kind of bush league.

Not big league ... but bush league.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

meh....this administration isn't living in Obamaland where things are ultra polished and coddled by the media taking forever and yield little to no results. it's bull in china shop bold and open about it's dealings good and bad and they are most certainly scrutinized more than ever but at least they are doing stuff. In the end, if he wasn't ticking people in Washington off, he wouldn't be doing his job.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And by that measure ... your boy is killing it.

Good to know he's at least making you happy.

Professionalism is so overrated.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He is in the White House and nearly everyone here that wasn't a fan back when he was running never thought he had a chance.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, there is this also: The guy is making a crap-ton of money working for Lockheed-Martin. I really couldn't blame anybody for turning down a 90% pay-cut to go work in the dumpster-fire that is the Trump White House.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because I put too much faith in the intelligence of the American people.

Now look what you elected into office.

Deplorable.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

He turned it down. You should expect a few to do that.
    It will be interesting to see who he gets and if the Dems go apocalyptic.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Two of their top leaders are going to ape-crazy they fell for a fake tweet. It's not a matter of "if" but when they go apocalyptic again. I predict they will have acid-trip levels of the sky is falling by late afternoon on Tuesday. #scapegoatscam

17. 0007776 Suspended

Smart move on his part. Trump only got in because Clinton was so hated and the Democrats weren't enthusiastic about her either. But Trump is likely to be a one or less term president and being a part of his administration gives you a good chance at ending your political career.

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

Or possibly being involved in a criminal investigation.

19. 0007776 Suspended

True, although there's a good chance you'd get a pardon from Trump or Pence.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

21. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I wouldn't take the chance. People like Trump look for fall guys.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It doesn't work that way. You make the assumption that there's an optimal among potential candidates and that Trump's team found it. It's generally important to set the minimum bar at a level that ensures sufficient competence going into the role. At that point, the top 10 may be quite close and the final choice may have very little to do with relative competence levels and skill sets, considered with respect to those particular roles.

Trump and his team seem to pick a lot of strange mismatches, so the bar isn't set very high here. Given that I have very little confidence in their judgement, I don't expect their particular ranking of candidates to be very meaningful.

Also if they make it past the top 10, they should appoint David Letterman as press secretary.

23. Zenithal macrumors 603

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'd probably turn it down if I knew the deep state were going to be briefing against me.

25. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The true dumpster fire is this entire administration and presidency. Y'all are so used to jumping to his defense you can't see it yet.