Multiple "unrelated" failures on my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flyguy451, Nov 16, 2009.

1. flyguy451 macrumors regular

I have a 1st generation 20" Intel iMac that has been absolutely flawless for just over 3 years but has suddenly a very perplexing set of problems.

First issue is that it would not boot up, the power light would come on and flash slowly, no screen activity, no chimes, I tried the usual fixes; reset pram, reset power controller. This was diagnosed by my local Apple reseller as a failed logic board so the logic board was replaced.

Took computer home and found that it would now boot up but would fail suddenly at some random point during boot up or shortly after (sometime within the first minute or so) with the cascading gray screen saying that a restart was needed in several languages. This was diagnosed as a bad memory module. We tried (I was with the technician) several different sets of memory before I eventually upgraded the machine with 2 - 2 Meg modules.

Took computer home again and found that bootup was normal and everything seemed to work fine except that after a few hours the fans would spin up and the machine would power itself off. After this happens the machine will not power back up for several hours. This sounds to me like a protection feature for an overheat. So this is where I am now; with a computer that works perfectly for several hours and then needs to be powered off for several hours(sometimes overnight).

I'm hoping that someone here will recognize some unifying factor in this set of hardware failures or maybe suggest some resolution. Would there be information in a system log somewhere to identify the problem? The technician at my reseller is a nice guy but he seems springloaded to replace whatever part "appears" to be at fault without spending much/any time verifying what the true problem is.

Thanks.......

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately the MLB is the main issue of many problems. You've had a replacement already so now I'd look into the PSU and then possibly replacing things like the CPU and RAM.

However, what troubles me is that after what appears to be three repairs you are willing to accept that there is an issue and willing to accept a fix but feel that your reseller is unqualified to make such repairs. I think it displays a fair amount of patience for you to just wait and hope for the best but now it's time to get Apple involved. Or, at the very least, ask for a new machine. There is a lemon law that may apply. Look it up. I think you'd be well within your right to have a new machine handed to you.

3. flyguy451 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks jessica;

Actually there's more to the story - Apple is involved since the first failure happened 2 weeks after Applecare expired on the machine! I called and politely asked if there was any way they'd consider covering the logicboard repair since I was such a longtime Apple customer, blah, blah, etc, etc. Sure enough they said they would repair my machine, so the first repair has been done at no cost to me, the second and third repairs (swapping memory modules) were done quickly by the technician at no cost and the fourth "repair" - upgrading the memory would, presumably, improve performance on the machine - I don't mind paying for that. My total financial cost has been buying 4 meg of RAM although I have spent time and money on carting the machine back and forth and my family has had to do without having a computer.

Anyway, being from Canada, I'm not sure if we have the same "lemon law" but I understand what you're getting at. I probably would attempt to get a replacement machine except for the fact that this one is now most definitely past it's warranty expiration date and has given me 3 flawless years of service plus the fact that Apple magnanimously agreed to replace the logic board outside of warranty.

I'm reluctant to take my computer to the other (we only have 2) Apple reseller in the area since; it's further from my house, I've never dealt with them before and, I'd lose the continuity on the repair process although that seems to have been of dubious value anyway.

I posted here because I though, perhaps, the sequence of failures might look familiar to someone and might give me a leg up on figuring out what is wrong with my machine so thanks for your comments - I'll pass them on to the technician to see if it helps with the troubleshooting at all.

4. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

hey my 24" 1st gen imac just had motherboard failure too- just outside 3 years now... any tips on how to get them to pay for it? i asked nicely and they said no....

thanks