Multiple Verizon Upgrading Concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blanz, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Blanz macrumors member

(its kinda long, so I bolded the more important bits)

So my 2 year contract with verizon is coming to a close sometime in the next month, so I have to do my bi-yearly research on what's changed since July 2010 when I bought my Droid X thats currently on its last legs. I've tried searching around for answers but my situation is somewhat complex, so I'll just lay it all out here.

Firstly, I've learned that if I got a new contract, I would have to ditch unlimited data. That sucks. (The new limits are for both 3G and 4G together, right? Not something like 3G is unlimited but 4G has data limits? That would probably be way too reasonable for verizon). I called up and apparently I have to upgrade by the 28th in order to retain my unlimited data. Does anyone know about the validity of those statements and whether those verizon reps knew what they were talking about?

To make matters more complicated, I'm studying abroad this fall in Italy for four months. Is it possible (and more importantly, reasonable) to get a phone that also works with GSM and try to get it on a carrier over there? Does the verizon iPhone also have GSM? Or would I be better going with some 20th century prepaid phone when I'm in Europe?

I wanted to wait until the iPhone 5 came out, but this looks increasingly more unlikely to happen because I don't want to be latched to a set amount of GBs a month for more money than I'm currently paying.
    -Should I go with some 4G android phone now to take advantage of my current data plan? (assuming 6/28 is the right date that I can renew my contract and still get unlimited).
    -Maybe iPhone 4s? (although to me it just seems too late to get the iPhone knowing that it will be outdated technology in a matter of months.) It seems possible to me though that I can buy it to keep unlimited data but keep my android and sell the iphone (or any other phone for that matter), then get an unsubsidized phone after I get back from italy.
    -Screw logic, and just wait until the iPhone 5. who needs data anyway?

Honestly, i have no idea what to do. If you were in my position, what would you do?

(On a side note, this would probably more likely belong in a "verizon" forum rather than an "iPhone" forum, but unfortunately that doesn't exist on macrumors. And from reading other threads, you guys know this stuff absurdly well haha)

2. emacna1, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

emacna1 macrumors regular

I don't have any advice for you, but the 28th is when the new Shared Data plans launch. If you don't upgrade by the 28th you will lose your unlimited data.

The Verizon iPhone 4S supports GSM networks overseas, but I'm pretty sure you have to notify Verizon before trying to put a micro-sim in the phone.

Edit: http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/?intcmp=VZW-VNT-SE-PLANRECMND

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is 100% fact. Upgrade now, or else you will lose unlimited data with upgrades. Verizon has said that if you buy a phone outright you may keep the unlimited plan. How long that will last is anybody's guess.

Possible, certainly. Reasonable? Depends on your definition. I would personally find it foolish to lock myself into a contract in the states and be paying that contract on top of whatever you do abroad. You WILL want to get a local carrier and not use Verizon abroad unless you do so very sparingly, or have an unlimited budget.

This is completely up to you. Wait for iPhone, lose data plan. Get phone now, and pay for iPhone outright when it launches is another option. If you get something like the GNex now you will still get a couple hundred bucks for it when you sell it off to put towards the next iPhone. Again, this is completely dependent on how much money you are willing to spend.
    Being that you will be studying abroad, and money seems to be a concern, I would just cancel my contract in the states. This does mean that you can;t get it back when you do come back stateside. It is unlcear to me how much the unlimited data versus money is worth to you. Since you are going abroad keeping unlimited data is definitely going to cost you money one way or the other.

----------

I assume you meant to say GSM :eek:

4. emacna1 macrumors regular

My mistake.

5. Blanz thread starter macrumors member

So does that mean I CAN use the iPhone (or any other Verizon phone w/ GSM) on a carrier abroad? That wont be an issue? I wont have to get a europe-specific phone?

Unlimited data is definitely worth more to me. I just try to be frugal whenever possible.

That makes it seem like upgrading now would be the best option. That would mean no iphone 5 though :(

6. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Upgrade to 4S now and sell it on Craigslist sealed for 475, then when the 5 comes out, buy the 5 for retail. I think that is what I'll do.

7. JAT macrumors 603

That won't work. You would need to upgrade to a 4G device to have 4G Unlimited Data. It is a different package from the old Unlimited Data that covered all earlier tech. And they consider moving from 3G Unlimited to 4G Unlimited an upgrade of sorts, so once the new plans start on 6/28, that will be considered a reason to force you off Unlimited.

It's really only cost effective to maintain Unlimited and pay full phone price if you use over 5GB of data, though. Or somewhere around there. Otherwise, the subsidy discount covers the extra data you might use in the tiered system. You'd have to do the math for your own situation.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Correct. Verizon is slightly weird about unlocking the phone though. They want to see you pay your bill for something like 3+ months. Since you have been a long time customer (let's assume good standing) this may not be an issue.

Again, this reads as mixed signals to me. Most study abroad programs are in the ballpark of 6 months minimum. Your data plan is $30, your voice plan is at least $10, so you would be paying a minimum of $240 just to keep the plan active while not using it at all. If you are willing to blow that cash I don't see why you can't just buy a phone now, hell even the 4S, sell it when the next iPhone launches, and buy the next iPhone outright.