Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
UK
Having found a need for multiple iTunes libraries, I've searched on Macrumors and found similar threads and solutions, but didn't see any listing Multitunes as a solution - has anyone used it? your opinions? I've read up on Libra, and I'm hesitant about the 'hack' that involves typing code into terminal - definately not my comfort zone.. I just want to see all my options.

Because I'm just a little bit paranoid about 3rd party plugins, can anyone reasure me that it's highly unlikely that installing this would have a negative impact on the application/OS? I'm worried about upsetting the currrently fantastic performance of my MBP, just to add this (albeit much needed) feature. :eek: Thanks.

EDIT: - have found a previous mention of Multitunes in the forums, but user opinions appreciated!

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
I didn't download the app and there's no info on the site itself.
I do think you have nothing to worry about. It will probably just use some sort of alias system to switch libraries.
I have been using iPhoto Library Manager for some time (does exactly the same for iPhoto) and had no problem at all.
Go for it. If you don't mind paying the shareware fee.
Terminal isn't that bad. What are they saying you should type in?

dhc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
UK
redeye be said:
I didn't download the app and there's no info on the site itself.
I do think you have nothing to worry about. It will probably just use some sort of alias system to switch libraries.
I have been using iPhoto Library Manager for some time (does exactly the same for iPhoto) and had no problem at all.
Go for it. If you don't mind paying the shareware fee.
Terminal isn't that bad. What are they saying you should type in?

Thanks for the reasurrance. The Terminal 'stuff' can be found here.
I find it a bit overwhelming.. my concern is that I'll do something wrong, and not know how to repair the damage.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dhc said:
Thanks for the reasurrance. The Terminal 'stuff' can be found here.
I find it a bit overwhelming.. my concern is that I'll do something wrong, and not know how to repair the damage.
That's actually all really easy and simple, except for th fact that you have to open terminal every time you want to toggle libraries, which could be a bit of a pain.

dhc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
UK
wmmk said:
That's actually all really easy and simple, except for th fact that you have to open terminal every time you want to toggle libraries, which could be a bit of a pain.

so do you think that the Multitunes plug-in is basically doing the same thing, but with an interface? - I'd rather not open terminal at all if I don't need to.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
wmmk said:

Yeah taht does doundl ike a bit of a pain! But good luck and i hope it works!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
dhc said:
so do you think that the Multitunes plug-in is basically doing the same thing, but with an interface? - I'd rather not open terminal at all if I don't need to.

Probably...either that or another similar method...

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dhc said:
short answer-yup
long answer-yes i do!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wmmk said:

You could encapsulate the shell scripts in an AppleScript and double-click your way through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.