Mum lost her iPhone 4 ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Sep 12, 2012.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I tried to track it by logging into Find My iPhone using her me.com address, but the phone is offline, meaning the arse who found it has switched it off upon finding it. There was a passcode, her daughters year of birth, but that'll be irrelevant now.

We've phoned O2 and locked the IMEI number and SIM, but I take it they can still restore it in iTunes and use it as an heavy iPod touch. Her last memory of having it was in a taxi to work this morning, as her car is off the road.

She's covered through her work insurance, but after reading some of the stories of idiots on here asking how to unlock phones they found, my blood is boiling.

So if anyone in the Glasgow area finds an iPhone 4 with a pink silicone/plastic case on it, do the right thing!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

She's at the local station with my sister right now. Insurance needs a police incident number and proof of purchase to replace the device.

----------

Why can't Apple build a piece of code into iOS that demands users who use the 4 digit passcode must enter it into the phone when it's connected to iTunes and a restore attempted?

A pain to the people who own the phone, but a potential Godsend to those who lose their devices.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is; however, you can bypass that when doing a Restore via DFU mode.

5. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

While the likes of ourselves know about DFU, I doubt common thieves (especially in Glasgow) have the intelligence to find out what a DFU mode is.

How do you add the passcode to be requested when you try and restore via iTunes?