Murdered Singer’s Family Sues ‘Gun-Free’ Concert Venue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 23, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/12/john-boch/dead-singers-family-sues-gun-free-concert-venue/
    apologies for the obviously biased article, that said they do appear to have a point, see bold/red area.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He must have missed the gun free zone sign on his way to kill someone, that would have most likely deterred him.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Making a claim is not the same as having a sound legal "point".

Who gets sued at a non "gun free zone" when people get shot? Is it on the venue for allowing the guns in there in the first place?

The entire argument is circular.

On another point, aren't you guys always talking about how frivolous lawsuits are destroying the country?

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I HATE LAWSUITS :mad: except when they suit MY agenda of course :D

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I gotta say, at least you're honest.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

this is an I sue you country, it's a shame that is how things tend to work in the U.S :(.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I don't really get the OP. If it hadn't been a "gun-free zone", it would be hard to say the likelihood of death or injury would've lessened. As for the lawsuit, sure negligence on the venues' part seems plausible, but hardly related to it being "gun-free". Out of curiosity, were security allowed firearms? I would think that (and employee vetting) would've been the most prudent move.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

having a permit does NOT mean you are allowed to carry inside even of you are a guard. if they are legally disarming you then to a degree they are responsible for your well being.

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Similarly I’m willing to bet this is the only situation the people who are suing side with federal law over state’s rights.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Haha I love the fact 'a gun free zone' is apparently the problem rather than the nutter who had easy access to guns in the first place... Merica

11. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

As a gun owner and conservative, I think it is ridiculous to sue the venue's owner. However, I DO think they should sue the outside security firm IF they were supposed to pat down for weapons. Otherwise, there's not much that could have been done and the person who was at fault is dead.

Just like some of us would tell a gay couple who wants to sue a bakery, to just move along if they can't get the owner to bake them a cake, we should not expect that we can force a business owner to allow us to come in with out firearms. If I don't like that I can't carry my weapon, I move along to a business that allows it.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Now you're beginning to understand. Guns don't kill people. Guns are not the problem. Gun free zones are dumb. Put in place years ago as a pacifier or "safe space" for the naive people of our country. Ironically, they are far from "safe spaces."

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Well they do kill people, they are weapons designed for that very purpose. I'm sure gun free zones were created so people could congregate without others flashing firearms like they are Rambo in an environment that isn't aggressive. The fact people decide to take advantage of this and commit murder just highlights the nasty consequence of a society with easy access to guns. It also exposes how violent people can be in a country that loves showboating it's aggressive foreign policy. I agree there is a fundamental problem that stems way past gun ownership yet nobody is bothered addressing it.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

but the problem in society remains the people not the gun. I'd rather have a gun in the house next door to me than a whack job without a gun.

Nope, it was because some politician felt if they told bad guys "no guns allowed" that they'd listen.

Again as you note, it's the person not the gun.

IMO Trump will do way more at addressing the issue than Obamafail. He's empower the right people and that's not the criminals.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

People are inherently unstable by nature. 3 out of 5 people experience some form of mental illness in their life time be it minor depression to the more severe. I certainly wouldn't trust even my society with free access to guns. Luckily we're just not that interested or defensive by culture. Your violent crime stats are just a bi-product of having a good choice of effective weapons within easy reach. The last murder in my town was in 1991 when an elderly senile man strangled his wife. It's very possible to live in a community without fear of needing to arm yourselves imo.

16. jerwin macrumors 68000

It's part of a crude attempt to re-engineer society so that more guns are sold. If a certain portion of the society believes that the gun is a symbol of death, they won't buy it. In order to increase sales, the cultural taboo against baring your gun in public needs to be destroyed, by any and all means.

Lawsuits will go away, once people learn to embrace more traditional and thus more honorable means of dispute resolution.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Like a duel?

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'll look into some white-glove stock...