Music app: play single album from artist with multiple albums

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jakeopolis, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jakeopolis macrumors member

Hey folks, question for those who have upgraded to the GM: has anyone found a way to play a single album from an artist with multiple albums, starting in the Artist view? For example, if I select The Beatles and then choose to play the first track of their first album, the Music app will queue alllllll the songs on subsequent albums. What if i JUST want to hear all of "Sgt. Pepper?"

(obviously I can do this from the Album view, but with thousands of albums, this is pretty cumbersome)

Thanks!

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

What do you want it to do once it has played all of the songs on the album? Just end?

:confused:

3. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member

Yup. In all previous versions of iOS, you can drill down Artist --> Album --> Songs, and if you select the first track of an album, it will queue that album and stop when it's finished.

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

OK....I actually prefer it the way they have it now. Even more so that the albums are now placed in chronological order. To each his own...:)

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Wow, the Music app really sucks for doing basic things. This is incredible. You should be able to find an album you want to listen to through Artist.

----------

Another WOW: for a minute I thought a workaround would be to tap the shuffle icon next to an album, then unshuffle and go back to first track. But each shuffle icon next to each album shuffles all the artist's tracks!

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I concur. Its horrible actually. Huge regression on Apple's part.

7. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I don't have a problem doing this... select the album, says '12 songs', tap the first song. Starts playing.

If you select the song from within the Artist tab/display -- and they might be sub-organised by album underneath this general heading -- then you end up playing all songs by the artist.

If you use the Album tab, or search and select the album (you can search for the artist name and it will list their albums), then it will play the album's songs only.

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Exactly...just because they changed some of the way it used to work, some think they pulled away features when they have actually added some (like showing albums in a logical order, not just alphabetical).

I haven't seen a single complaint about the music app that didn't come down to, "I was used to the old way and they changed it."

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Surely it's a bug though that there is a 'Shuffle All Songs' at the top, but also a shuffle next to each album header which does the same.

10. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

So? The things they changed made navigating worse.

11. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I think it is fair to say that that is your opinion and to assume that Apple changed it just to screw with you and not actually improve navigation is a pretty big leap.

12. kelleybp macrumors member

My issue with the new navigation -- aside from the fact that I was used to the old method -- is that the old navigation method was logical, intuitive and made perfect sense. There was no need to fundamentally change it. I hardly use the shuffle feature, but I really don't like the fact that artist view forces you to scroll through every song on every album by the artist. With the old navigation, you had that option, or you could select a specific album and choose from (or shuffle) songs within that album. Admittedly you still have that functionality, but to get to it you have to choose the album from a list of every album in your collection (instead of albums just by a selected artist).

The end result is that either far more scrolling is required (in the fully-populated artist view), or you have to use nonsensical selection method (sorry, but searching/scrolling by artist name is way more intuitive than searching/scrolling through album names from X number of artists).

I agree that chronological vs. alphabetical listing is a matter of personal preference. For that very reason, there should be an option in the settings menu. Plus, I would happily bet that the vast majority would prefer an alphabetical listing.

13. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I prefer Alphabetical, I even remove the Tracks #s to all my songs because I like alphabetical order so much.

14. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Yup, limiting how many items are viewable on a list view just to add artist pictures/album art was such an improvement. Who the hell thinks it's an improvement to only be able to see four artists/albums at a time?

15. chardzard macrumors newbie

chardzard

Oh man that would drive me insane. Then again, if I'm listening to an album I don't even really like using shuffle. Just feel like I should listen in the order the artist intended. To each his own I suppose...

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Haha, I do it because its easier for me in the fly to find a song I want opposed to looking at #s, alphabetical order makes it faster, especially when I am at the gym. Done it for ages so I much prefer it.

If Apple was smart and generous, they would allow these ordering options within the app settings... but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Chronological order makes no sense at all for classical albums which are now listed in the order they were recorded/released. Even for pop/rock, the album I am most likely to listen to would be the most recent release, and that requires scrolling through the whole lot. If anything, reverse chronological order would be better.

Also, with the alphabetical ordering, if there were a lot of albums by one artist, you used to get an alphabetic menu on the right which meant navigation was extremely quick.

But there should be an option, since clearly people's preferences differ.

18. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Theres lots of complaints about the ios 7 music app here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601540

I hate it. If you have an artist will lots of albums its a terrible experience of endless scrolling. All the artist albums are expanded in chronological order so you have to scroll just to find the album or song you want. Apple really need to collapse the albums back to grid view. For this reason I won't be updating to ios 7 for as long as possible or until a decent music app alternative or jailbreak tweak is released.

19. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

I agree with you TC. I hate how it displays all the albums, I wish it could go back to just letting you chose which one you want after the artist.

There is a way to fix it though. If you ask Siri "Play [album name] by [album artist]" she will play it. I actually use Siri all the time to play music as it is fast that going to find what I want (and that's with my Music being super organized)

what annoys me more than this issue is the fact that the over flow went from being organized by album artist to album name.

20. TennisandMusic

This navigation is objectively worse from an efficiency standpoint. Lets say you have 10,000 albums from 1,000 artists. You want to play an album by Mr. Music.

Do you want to swipe through 5,000 albums to arrive at the album you want, or 500 artists, then select the album you want?

Album view basically flattens out everything you have into a huge linear array.

Artist view at least groups them into somewhat more manageable 2D array.

Apple just did a really bad job with this. And it is objectively true IMO.

21. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Swipe through 5000 albums? Are you high? That's what the alphabetical scroll bar on the right is for...for artist or album.

And as mentioned a few threads up, just ask Siri.

They removed stupid skeuomorphism and visual search "aids" like cover flow for more logical categorization. Again, just because it is not what you are used to does not mean it isn't easier and more logical to current and new users.

22. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

It's not though and no I don't want to use siri.

23. blahbrah macrumors 6502

I haven't tried out the GM for this reason and considering how much I use iTunes Match this sounds like a nightmare.

24. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, is there any way to enable the ability to browse by Artists and play/shuffle single albums in the release version of iOS 7? Using an iPod Touch here.

25. ajiuo macrumors 65816

The music app has been one of the biggest complaints..

I suspect apple will start to get mass complaints now that its public and fix the many isues.

----------

You can shuffle an album.. Not a genre