Music choices, and Racism against the people making the music you buy?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 840quadra, Aug 27, 2009.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Can anyone explain how people can actively listen to only Country, and Rap music, and also be the same kind of people that are racist against Black people, and live / die by supposed "redneck" values? If you are buying CD's and love the music any cultural group creates, how can you also hate them?

I am so annoyed by a growing number of people I know that fit exactly into this category, while also maintaining a friendship with me. I am not African American, but I am dark skinned (native Amaerican blood). I am curious how they act when I am NOT around.

What the hell is wrong with people!? (Nevermind the fact that dislike both music genres, but have NOTHING against those who like or produce them).

Sorry to be totally random..

[​IMG]

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And very cute, I might add. ;)

OK, OK...I'll be serious. I know what you mean. I ran into it a lot when I lived in Ohio, and I honestly don't know how to answer your question.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Many people are racists in a "general" sense. They may be prejudiced against black people as a group, but like particular individuals. These are the ones who say "I'm not racist, some of my good friends are black."

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are there people who listen only to Country and Rap? :eek:

Are you talking about someone who listens to Rap music, but hates black people and black culture? If so, I'm sure you know that Rap music is only one element of black culture, and it's far from exclusive to that culture. And I have no idea how Country music fits into the discussion.

Maybe I'm not really sure what you're asking. :confused:

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

Maybe they dont know they are being racist or offending you.

7. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Haha thanks!

Yes Ohio is interesting! I picked up a Mercedes in a small Ohio town and just felt creeped out by some of the locals. They were mostly nice, but it felt like something was off during the interactions.

Some great points made here, I think they are too ignorant for me to try to explain to them why it offends me. I too have some prejudice for some social groups, but it has nothing to do with race in my position.

Yep, two genre's I absolutely can't stand personally, but I respect people's choices and actually let them use their iPods in my car too ;) .

Those are some great points. I do understand it is only part of the culture, I guess what I am getting at is difficult to explain. These friends live and die country, you could easily fit them into many country songs (without insulting them at all), and yet, they idolize the lifestyles portrayed, and play upon images and actions explained in the Rap music they listen to. It makes for an interesting, but confusing cultural mix.

Granted I have friends in Many social and cultural circles, but this group has me confused. I have literally been saluted with the extended hand and "white power", it is as if they ignore the fact that I am almost 50% Native American.

Besides the huge contradiction I see with them, they are great friends, and good people. I just don't get how or why they feel the need to be so outwardly racist, and blind to the fact that they are also insulting me.

That is quite possible

[​IMG]

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ever seen a white guy dressed in FUBU moshing to Pretty Fly for a White Guy? Sure ya have, people just like to rock to a tune that sounds good sometimes.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im not really a fan of mainstream rap and I despise country (neighbors across the way blast it all night on high volume and make a compelling argument through example of why we shouldn't use music and sleep deprivation for interrogation).

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A lot of white racists were/are very content to have (especially) black people around as entertainers or sportsmen, as long as they did not get ideas above their station.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oops . . . I think some black guy did that big time in a different arena and pi**ed off a lot of white guys.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You base this off of what? :confused:

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A lifetime of observation.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Jack Johnson?

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

*giggles* Could be this guy. ;)

I found this post on Gizmodo. It sums up the whole racism/music thing (at least for Rap) quite nicely IMHO...

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Those damn white guys. Luckily its summer and I am brown, I fear winter when I go back to my racist ways though.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tanning is bad for the skin. Use sunblock. ;)

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

A lot of white guys, not all white guys. I wasn't talking about you. :)

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My small attempt at humor. :p

20. Queso macrumors G4

What do a little bit of Country and lots of Rap make?

C Rap :D