Music disappears from music app but still visible in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rbtrucking, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Rbtrucking macrumors member

Today I went to listen to some music on my iPhone 6s plus (sprint) and all of the sudden I notice that about 70% of my music is gone so I hook it up to iTunes and see that everything is still listed in iTunes, I do not have auto sync enabled I have always managed my music manually. I tried hitting sync once I see that it's all in iTunes but nothing works.

Then to top it all off,now it seems that the music that is visible on my iPhone will only play when I am connected to wifi when I can assure you that the music is on my phones internal storage. I have tried looking into this, and I have toggled the show apple music setting in the music app settings, I have tried restarting the phone and everything that has been suggested through a google search and nothing has worked.

I am on iOS 9 latest version. 9.3.2 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated because I use my iPhone for a huge majority of my music throughout the day.

2. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

Maybe music is corrupted. Mine used to be all fine and then suddenly was all corrupted so had to put mine back all on so perhaps same issue with yours. Even if it shows on iTunes, it may not necessarily play. If that's not the case have you tried factory resetting your phone? If that doesn't work then try putting all your music on iTunes agaim.

3. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

So something like this happened to me today. I have music in my music app and audiobooks in ibooks. I was listening to an audiobook, went to lunch, then when I started working again I went to play an audiobook and all of mine were gone. Then when going to my music all of my music is gone too.

Anyone else have this happen?

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

How much free space on the devices that have experienced this?

Solution is basically to reload the music, as long as there's no issue with that.

5. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

About 15gbs free on mine, I just dont know how it could disappear. I could understand if I sync'd to itunes and lost it, but to be listening to something and then 30 minutes later it has all disappeared.

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I agree, it's very strange, have heard about these kind of situations several times in the past. Anything you guys can think of that changed or a new app installed before this happened? And where did the music come from (CDs, iTunes, elsewhere)? Are you running latest software version? Did your phone do anything weird before the music disappeared i.e. restart unexpectedly, ask you to sign into iTunes store?

7. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

Haven't downloaded any new apps recently, my music was purchased through iTunes, and my audiobooks were put on my phone a few months ago.

I wouldn't have known anything was wrong until I went to play an audiobook.

I was listening to the book, went to lunch, played on my phone some, went back to work and went to play my book again and it was gone. Then checked my music and it was gone too.

It seems to be only happening to Apple services I guess and only to a handful of people.

My audiobooks are played through iBooks unless I have a credit through audible. And my music is trough the music app.

I'm also on 9.3.3

8. dawindmg08 macrumors member

dawindmg08

Add me to the list. This has happened to me at least twice now on my 6s that I got a few months ago. I'll go to play some music in my car and POOF -- all the music that was there the last time I checked has now disappeared. All my Playlists disappear too and get replaced with what looks like the defaults when you first open iTunes (Classical Music, My Top Rated, Recently Added, etc.)

If I plug in the phone and open iTunes, it shows all the music that SHOULD be synced to it, but if I double-click on one of them then an exclamation point shows up next to it. Meanwhile in the colored storage bar at the bottom, it tells me that there's barely any music on there (9 songs instead of 490). If I sync it then it starts copying songs back to the iPhone -- so it really seems like they were deleted.

I did sign for Apple Music back when it was a free trail, but cancelled it once it reverted to paid. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but the Phone's behavior when this happens leads me to suspect it. Both the Music app and System settings revert back to what a Music subscriber might see.