Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
A few months I've started having some weird iPod issues while downloading music from the iTunes Store in the iTunes app. Whenever a song gets to the processing step, my music fades out like my iPhone is going to play a notification sound, but then never does. After a few seconds the music fades back in. This occurs on every individual song downloaded, so it's extremely annoying every 30 seconds or so until all the downloads are complete.

Is anyone having the same problem? I've done some searching on the forums and online and I can't really find anyone else with the same issue. I'm thinking it's a bug introduced with a recent iOS update, but I would expect to see more online about it if that's the case.

I guess my next step would be to restore my iPhone from a backup, but I would prefer to avoid that as it takes forever. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jodamo5

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, I've got the same issue with music fading

I've just downloaded a couple of albums on my iPad and experienced the exact same problem you described - the music I was listening to, while the rest of the songs downloaded, kept fading out every minute or so, and then fading back in. A number of times the song would even pause and I would have to push "play" again to get it to keep playing.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
wow how co-incidental. I have just had the same issue.

I downloaded a couple of podcasts and when they finished each time the music stopped and i had to press play to get them going again!

I was wondering if it had something to do with updating the library on the phone or something after download?

also, does the same happen in the iOS5 beta? :rolleyes:

akag9

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
same here

Same issue with playing Podcasts with Downcast. Fades and stops when LARGEish apps are downloaded. Have not toticed doing same on updates...

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
Same exact thing happens here. It seems to happen as soon as a song finishes. Not sure if Apple thinks this is a feature (to let you know a song has finished?) or if it needs to happen because the library is being updated.

Either way, it's very annoying. I would love to be able to listen to an album while it's downloading. It definitely downloads fast enough to wait for the first song to complete and play that while the other ones finish. That would be a great benefit!

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I noticed the same thing. I feel like its a feature to let you know that a track has finished downloading, because as someone previously mentioned, it only happens when the track finishes downloading.

Agreed that its annoying though.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
If you go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html you can submit the glitch. The more people that do it, the more likely it will be fixed!

Here's my response in case anyone would like to just copy and paste it.

iPhone pauses music when downloading from iTunes Store

Music playing on my iPhone pauses or fades out and then back in every time a song or podcast has completed downloading from the iTunes Music Store. This is particularly frustrating when you're downloading an entire album, especially because it'd be great to be able to start playing the first song of the album after it downloads and continue to have it play as the rest of the album does! But aside from that, it'd be great to just be able to play music while purchasing music without being interrupted. Please fix ASAP! Thanks!

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I started having this issue this morning and I googled it to see if anyone else was experiencing this. Low and behold the first hit was this thread back at ol macrumors :) I have purchased albums in the past and started listening before it was finished and I don't recall ever having this issue. I am not sure if its new since the last iOS software update?

I am downloading over 3G, i'm not sure if that makes a difference or not - I wouldn't think so though, slow or poor connection (if that's the case, but it seems fine?) still shouldn't impact the iPod once the file is downloaded.

Are you guys that are having problems on wifi, 3G, or having the problem on both?

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
I have purchased albums in the past and started listening before it was finished and I don't recall ever having this issue. I am not sure if its new since the last iOS software update?

I am downloading over 3G, i'm not sure if that makes a difference or not

I actually bought an album over 3G for the first time yesterday (both to test out how fast I could download an album over 3G and to test the issue) and it still happened :( Very frustrating. But on the bright side, Graceland downloaded SO FAST. I couldn't believe it. Very awesome. But that makes me want this bug fixed even more! That means I can wait for the first song of an album to finish downloading, start playing it, and the album will play seamlessly as my iPhone continues to finish downloading the rest of the album!

I'm happy to hear that it didn't seem to be an issue in previous versions. Hopefully it's just a quick bug that'll be fixed soon. Like I said in my previous post, please submit the bug to Apple!

Once again, here's the link and here's my response below. Feel free to copy/paste it:

Music playing on my iPhone pauses or fades out and then back in every time a song or podcast has completed downloading from the iTunes Music Store. This is particularly frustrating when you're downloading an entire album, especially because it'd be great to be able to start playing the first song of the album after it downloads and continue to have it play as the rest of the album does! But aside from that, it'd be great to just be able to play music while purchasing music without being interrupted. Please fix ASAP! Thanks!

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
If you go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html you can submit the glitch. The more people that do it, the more likely it will be fixed!

Here's my response in case anyone would like to just copy and paste it.

iPhone pauses music when downloading from iTunes Store

Thanks I used your template.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This issue came with ios4 and apple knows about it. Used to download and play albums without the pause in ios3+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.