Music folders vanishing as I play them in iTunes?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ginnymae, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ginnymae macrumors newbie

Haven't had this problem in the 3 years that I've had my MacBook, though I won't claim to know much about this computer..

I downloaded 2 albums through Transmission, and as usual, transferred them from downloads into my iTunes library, then opened them via iTunes from there. I thought I was imagining things, but it looked like they disappeared from my library that I had open in finder. -But they were playing in iTunes. As I investigated, sure enough, the folders that had previously been in my iTunes library were not there- yet they were playing. I typed the artist name in finder and it showed up, but I have no idea where it is that it's showing me- it appears isolated with no address.

And more awesomeness- I noticed that my library appeared MUCH smaller than it should, and quickly searched for an artist I know I should have a lot of- and it was nowhere to be found. Again, typed into finder and it's in my computer- somewhere- but not in my iTunes library. -Yet is IN iTunes and playable. What could possibly be causing this?? Hopefully just a setting that got tweaked but I appreciate any help at all. :-/

2. simsaladimbamba

There are several options.

1. In iTunes, select a song, right click on it and select "Show/Reveal in Finder". Repeat these steps for various songs.
    2. When in Finder, go to the Menu Bar, select "View" and then "Show Path Bar", which will give you a little path bar on the bottom of the window and show you were you are in your file system.
    3. Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.